302C 5 speed manual conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

302C 5 speed manual conversion

Before I say anything else, I just wanted to mention that I have searched for this and could not find a direct answer to what I was looking for..

So I thought Id put on a flame suit (just in case) and ask anyway..

1. I'm interested in putting a manual gearbox in my XB which has a 302 (planned upgrade to 351 - but thats a whole other story) and a 3 speed column shift auto.
I would like peoples opinion as to which gear box is better, a T-5 or Supra gearbox?

2. Okay, so I went down to the gearbox man and bought a gearbox - what parts do I need to buy/modify to make the new gearbox fit in my car?

3. Has anyone done the conversion and have any advice/tips/comments/suggestions?

Thanks guys.
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 21:19   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: 302C 5 speed manual conversion

Which gearbox will depend on your engine output.
Need to modify or purchase tailshaft, crossmember, speedo cable, belhousing (will for supra, not sure about t-5)....
You will also need clutch, pedal box, and you might have to upgrade your diff ratio to one that can use the overdrive.

I've probably left out a few things though. Not all T-5 and Supra boxes are rated the same.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:15   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

1. OK the first question is reeeaaallly easy to answer. Go teh SUPRA box any day. Ive used both and in my experiences Japanese gearboxes are usually MUCH better in quality, shiftfeel and strength. Especially the Getrag box in teh Supra which is reknowned for these qualities and has a reputation for being able to handle big power.

2. Im doin something similar. The answers ive gotten to that question is an adapter plate, mounts and i couldnt find more than that lol.

3. Im doin it but not till much later, so not a lot of advice! But i can definitely say it CAN be done. Dont forget to let us know what YOU find or if you actually do finish this.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 21:15   #4 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

does it matter what model supra it came from - or are they all pretty much the same?
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

There are turbo and non-turbo, and also steel case and alloy case. I don't know which model is the best though.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline