3rd gear problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 07:32   #1 (permalink)
khellooo!!

3rd gear problems

gday all, im new to the forums but ive been reading posts as a guest for a while now and im impressed with the size of the knowledge base here at ford forums, good stuff guys.

but i have a problem, it didnt really occur to me until tonight whilst cruisin with a mate

he drives an AE92 corolla (91 model) and i have an EA falcon S MPFI, and a couple of weeks back whilst havin a bit of fun onthe highway, we were cruising in 4th - we both drive manuals, in a downshift to 3rd to jump ahead a bit, i found that he kept up with me for quite a while, both of us being in 3rd, until we shifted into 4th and he was a dot in my rear vision mirror :D

but ive noticed that i have little to no compression in 3rd and that all my compression comes from second, and it also seems that there is more torque in 4th than 3rd?

at 80km/h cruising in 4th i can pull through to 100km/h with ease (in the appropriate speed limit zones of course! hehe) simply by flooring it and it struggles to do the same with a downshift to 3rd.

is there something amiss here? or is this a common problem with the t5 gearboxes or the EA's??

any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

cheers, alex.
XMU2drescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2004, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: 3rd gear problems

You could have an ignition / fuelling problem which is affecting you at high RPM.
To start off, and if they havent already been - replace the fuel filter, spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor.
If the same still persists, then maybe get it on a dyno and see whats going on...
Old 02-17-2004, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
khellooo!!

Re: 3rd gear problems

cheers mate, that was another issue i forgot about

i think it might be either misfiring or i have a timing problem, because when cruising in 4th and since last night in almost all gears, the car shudders and shakes and feels like its goin to stall revving at about 2-3000rpm.

could this be contributing to the problem with my 3rd gear? and how would i go about having my timing adjusted and haveing this problem fixed?
XMU2drescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline