3sp to 4sp - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
ben

3sp to 4sp

Just wondering the total cost including installation upgrade to a reasonable condition 4sp...

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2002, 16:54   #2 (permalink)
Mallyboo

costs

Rough estimate Ben:

- 4spd box - $600 to $800 from an EB to ED. Could get cheaper if you hunt really hard.
- Trannie fluid - for the full change of around 10.5 litres - approx $60.
- If going to use the secondary ECU that controlled the gearbox that was found on the EA II's and the EB I's - not sure but $50 to $100 ?? Other than that, fully integrated ECU - some buggers quoted me $150 to $200.

- Will need to make new mounting points on your car to fit the 4spd auto as well.
- Some rewiring as well, but not impossible.

Little extras:
- Internal plastics/trims
- Gear Selector handle (get rid of the old ugly one)

Also check the filter while you are there.

There maybe a few other things I am forgetting but I would say around $1000 plus. I would buy a wreck and pull the parts off of that - as you can use the other parts off of the car - great if you have a farm to store the wreck :) . Try and check the colour of the trannie fluid as well if you are going for something you do not know about. Not a guaranteed way of knowing what the box is like, but least you know they looked after it a little bit.

Good luck,

M.......
Old 02-25-2002, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
Ea EnVy

Re: costs

i got a reconditioned one installed in mine. it was already 4 spd but it cost me $1250 installed finished drive away.. took them a week, i duno if its the same "bolt on" gear box as the 3 spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline