4 speed auto only has 2 gears! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 15:02   #1 (permalink)

4 speed auto only has 2 gears!

G'day all

I've struck a problem with my gearbox that I'm hoping someone can clue me in on. It's a 4 speed auto in a 91 Ghia V8.

When you jump in the car and put it in gear, it starts off in 1st as normal, but then revs right out and eventually drops straight into 3rd. It won't go into 4th at all. If you kickdown from 3rd, it goes straight back to 1st. I have tried manually selecting the gears, flicking betweem power and economy, and I'vs still only got 2 forward gears. Reverse works normally, and the gearbox drops quickly into each gear at idle when I move the T-bar. It's got the right amount of fluid in it.

The only thing I can think of is that the car has not been driven regularly over the last couple of months, and I've had to jump start the flat battery every time. A mate (347 stroker) suggested that the gearbox may be in "limp-home" mode & may need re-setting? This probelm occurred a couple of weeks ago, but fixed itself when I stopped the car and drove it agian later. I've tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas?
ncfairlane302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 15:16   #2 (permalink)
tony

Re: 4 speed auto only has 2 gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfairlane302
G'day all

I've struck a problem with my gearbox that I'm hoping someone can clue me in on. It's a 4 speed auto in a 91 Ghia V8.

When you jump in the car and put it in gear, it starts off in 1st as normal, but then revs right out and eventually drops straight into 3rd. It won't go into 4th at all. If you kickdown from 3rd, it goes straight back to 1st. I have tried manually selecting the gears, flicking betweem power and economy, and I'vs still only got 2 forward gears. Reverse works normally, and the gearbox drops quickly into each gear at idle when I move the T-bar. It's got the right amount of fluid in it.

The only thing I can think of is that the car has not been driven regularly over the last couple of months, and I've had to jump start the flat battery every time. A mate (347 stroker) suggested that the gearbox may be in "limp-home" mode & may need re-setting? This probelm occurred a couple of weeks ago, but fixed itself when I stopped the car and drove it agian later. I've tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas?
it needs the switches (i think that's what they call em) replaced in 2nd and 4th gears. i had the same problem on my EF V8.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14   #3 (permalink)

Re: 4 speed auto only has 2 gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes
it needs the switches (i think that's what they call em) replaced in 2nd and 4th gears. i had the same problem on my EF V8.
Thanks mate, it looks like it may be easier to slot in the replacement box I bought 6 months ago - it was going to wait until the rebuilt motor, but no time like the present.
ncfairlane302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline