Ford Forums banner

4 speed auto playing up going in and out of limp home mode

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Casper 
#1 ·
just wondering if someone can help will be taking the car to the auto trans place tomorro

had to go to melbourne tonight to rescue my mum (somehow managed to lock the keys in the EL dont ask.....

anywayz i leave geelong heading along teh highway with the cruise on when it starts changing back to third up to 4th back 3rd up 4th im like wtf!~

anywayz then it ended up just ebin in third ( limp home mode)
so took it home and took me other car to melb.

the trans was doing teh same thing on me the other day and i checked the trans fluid and it was low so i filled it up again so its now full of clean transfluid so thats not the problem

it is slightly overdue for a service could this be it ?(ive been told by someone that when the bands are out of adjustment the car will go into limp home mode - unsure on this though, as the trans is working fine otherwise, so...)

could it be that a plug has worked loose somewhere? or maybe my o2 sensors are shagged?

im seriously hoping the box isnt stuffed as it was recoed like 18 months ago and was the main reason for purchasing this car over a multitude of others

anywayz just hoping someone else has had similar problems that have been easy fixs and maybe you could shed some light on what hte problem could be

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. When driving home from work at night with head lights on, it would sometimes go into limp home mode (stuck in 3rd). Traced problem back to loose terminal on negative battery lead, cleaned terminals & retightened leads. Had no problem since.

#3 · (Edited)
I agree, it's more likely to be an electrical problem (bad earth etc.) than the actual physical transmission.

I would still check the fluid level first, just to positively rule that one out.
Also get the fault codes read, that should be the first thing you do.

#6 ·
it will be going in on friday for a trans service (its the soonest i could get time to ) ill see if that fixes it terminals are clean but i do have a slight power pulse the car has always had it so i verry much doubt it will be this

i hope its simple as, coz i couldnt really afford a trans reco especially since it was only recoed like 18 months ago

we will see friday

#7 ·
MADNC_8 said:
it will be going in on friday for a trans service (its the soonest i could get time to ) ill see if that fixes it terminals are clean but i do have a slight power pulse the car has always had it so i verry much doubt it will be this

i hope its simple as, coz i couldnt really afford a trans reco especially since it was only recoed like 18 months ago

we will see friday

Relax mate, i very much doubt your in need of a rebuild. i had the exact same prob. it had me thinkin cos i had no clue as to what the hell it was. had it tested for codes at ford and they found a few faulty solenoids in the tranny to be gone. they even recommended me to a trans shop as they said it would be cheaper than to leave it with them
LOL. Ended up costing me $190 to fix along with a service too.
So cheer up bud!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.