4 speed auto playing up going in and out of limp home mode - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2003, 06:16   #1 (permalink)
No longer around

4 speed auto playing up going in and out of limp home mode

just wondering if someone can help will be taking the car to the auto trans place tomorro

had to go to melbourne tonight to rescue my mum (somehow managed to lock the keys in the EL dont ask.....

anywayz i leave geelong heading along teh highway with the cruise on when it starts changing back to third up to 4th back 3rd up 4th im like wtf!~

anywayz then it ended up just ebin in third ( limp home mode)
so took it home and took me other car to melb.

the trans was doing teh same thing on me the other day and i checked the trans fluid and it was low so i filled it up again so its now full of clean transfluid so thats not the problem

it is slightly overdue for a service could this be it ?(ive been told by someone that when the bands are out of adjustment the car will go into limp home mode - unsure on this though, as the trans is working fine otherwise, so...)

could it be that a plug has worked loose somewhere? or maybe my o2 sensors are shagged?

im seriously hoping the box isnt stuffed as it was recoed like 18 months ago and was the main reason for purchasing this car over a multitude of others

anywayz just hoping someone else has had similar problems that have been easy fixs and maybe you could shed some light on what hte problem could be
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2003, 07:18   #2 (permalink)

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. When driving home from work at night with head lights on, it would sometimes go into limp home mode (stuck in 3rd). Traced problem back to loose terminal on negative battery lead, cleaned terminals & retightened leads. Had no problem since.
EA_SPRINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:16   #3 (permalink)

Re: 4 speed auto playing up going in and out of limp home mode

I agree, it's more likely to be an electrical problem (bad earth etc.) than the actual physical transmission.

I would still check the fluid level first, just to positively rule that one out.
Also get the fault codes read, that should be the first thing you do.

Last edited by TopGhia; 06-22-2003 at 12:51.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 21:59   #4 (permalink)

isolation switch? i believe they serve more than one purpose on the auto boxes and have a habit of breaking down.
XA_JG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

You can have first dibs on my box!
Old 06-23-2003, 05:37   #6 (permalink)
No longer around

it will be going in on friday for a trans service (its the soonest i could get time to ) ill see if that fixes it terminals are clean but i do have a slight power pulse the car has always had it so i verry much doubt it will be this

i hope its simple as, coz i couldnt really afford a trans reco especially since it was only recoed like 18 months ago

we will see friday
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:45   #7 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
it will be going in on friday for a trans service (its the soonest i could get time to ) ill see if that fixes it terminals are clean but i do have a slight power pulse the car has always had it so i verry much doubt it will be this

i hope its simple as, coz i couldnt really afford a trans reco especially since it was only recoed like 18 months ago

we will see friday

Relax mate, i very much doubt your in need of a rebuild. i had the exact same prob. it had me thinkin cos i had no clue as to what the hell it was. had it tested for codes at ford and they found a few faulty solenoids in the tranny to be gone. they even recommended me to a trans shop as they said it would be cheaper than to leave it with them
LOL. Ended up costing me $190 to fix along with a service too.
So cheer up bud!!
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:48   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Had something similar happen in my EB a few years back. Took it to Ford to sort out. They said it was electrical.

Cheers,

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline