Ford Forums banner

4 Speed Auto - Question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TopGhia 
#1 ·
My car has only recently developed a small 'clunk' from 2nd to 3rd, i was just wondering the best way to work out what it is, and how to fix it.

i havent checked the fluid or anything yet, but just after peoples opinions wheter it just needs a tune etc...

Other than this clunk, there is no slipping or hard changing in any other gear up or down

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

#2 ·
Could be the Clutch band for that gear is wearing, but not likely as the others would go as well. It's not the s5 solenoid as this controls most of the changes as well. Don't quote me but as there are a few solenoids in the gearbox, it could be one of those. Not as expensive as the S5, but if you ring a few Auto guys, they should be able to tell you.

Also check the oil for any metal fragments, then let us know.

#3 ·
My EA ghia had bad clunk from 1st to 2nd then it slipped and gave a small clunk from 2nd to 3rd. I got my S5 replaced and it took both the clunks out, but the slip remained which turned out to be a worn clutch pack.

#4 ·
the car is at the mechanic,

What does the s5 do? is it the controller of the pressure in the box?

#5 ·
Another 4 Speed Auto question. Anyone know if they had to do much to strengthen BA Auto for the Tiptronic Style usage? I use my AU Auto as a pretend manual (reasonably agressive down shifts) quite a bit and just wonder if I could do any damage??

#7 ·
I use my AU Auto as a pretend manual (reasonably agressive down shifts) quite a bit and just wonder if I could do any damage??
That's hard to say, the only problem is that the gearbox was not designed to be used that way, except occasional downshifts for steep hills and emergencies.

My auto has done 240,000 k's by <i>not</i> using it as a stick shift, so if someone comes on and says they have reached a similar mileage by using it like a manual, then that will be proof it does no damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.