Ford Forums banner

4 speed auto in XE Clevo ??

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  leonbray 
#1 ·
Is it possible to retro fit a late model BTR 4 speed auto behind a Clevo in an XE

Any clues or experiences ???????????????

#2 ·
Biggest problem straight up is the feed wires for the 4 speed auto computer, it need throttle position, and tacho inputs for a start.

Sort out a way for them to work, and go for it, as to it handling the power no Idea, and bell housing lining up no idea either.

#3 ·
Get an AOD, preferably from a 351W, but one from a 302W would also work. Bolts right up, non electronic controlled, don't even need to change the driveshaft length when swapping from a C4. Just make sure to get the TV linkage set up correctly. Same ratios as C4 plus a 0.68 O/D and lock-up converter.

I put one behind a 351C in an XA a few years back. It was a great combination.

Good luck
Tris

#5 ·
XAFALCON

Mate, so many questions.

Where are these transmissions from
Where did you get yours from
What did you pay
Can you fit a Hi stall in them
What do you mean by TV linkage ( pardon my ignoramassness )
Do they bolt straight up to a clevo ( bellhousing pattern etc )

What sort of grunt can they handle

Thanks sooooooooooooooooooooooo much

Cheers

#6 ·
I bought mine out of the local trader magazine. Over here in NZ most engine importers have them as well. They bring in a complete EFI 302W/351W + trans assembly from USA, and since the AOD auto sends no electronic signals for to the ECM for control, they can sell either engine and trans or just the engine. Whenever the latter happens, a spare AOD is for sale. One importer even leaves the engines behind and just bring the AOD's in.

They were the best auto Ford never offered in Australasia. In USA they even run them behind big block drag engines. That's after they beef them up through companies like Baumann Engineering and Lentech.

Cheers
Tris

#7 ·
ESP, your post came in as I was answering RHR's post above.

In answer to your questions, I paid NZ$250 for mine. That was about five years ago before the speed shops cottoned on to just how good and easy the swap is. Now they sell for NZ$750 - still cheap for such a useful unit.

They ran them behind 302 and 351 windsors in USA from 1981 through 1993 so there are heaps of them.

High stall convertoers are available, but try the standard unit first. Behind my mild 351C (yes they bolt straight up, and if you're replacing a C4 the driveshaft is even the correct length) I couldn't get the convertor to stall with foot on brake and gas. The wheels just started spinning. This was with a 2.75 LSD 9". Stallion in USA make very good AOD converters if you need one. Tansbrakes and full manualvalve bodies are also available.

TV is throttle valve. It increases line pressure in proportion to throttle application. If you go with an AOD, get it set by a pro. Any trans shop will either be able to do it, or suggest someone else who has experience. It is experience that is vital for this setting. Get it wrong, and the trans will have too low line pressure and burn out clutches. My advice, pay the $25 to get it done right.

Like any piece of machinery, you can build it as strong as you need. In USA, they live behind big blocks after some work.

My advice to you is to research the web. Check Baumann Engineering and Lentech websites. If you like what you read, check the price of importing one of their reconditioned and beefed up units direct from USA. With the greenback so low at the moment, the cost isn't very high. I just brought in some aluminium heads and a tremec 5 speed trans from USA, and I paid a lot less than retail.

One thing I found out that nobody has ever reported before is the need to run 2 block plates between the engine and the trans. My converter was rubbing on the pump bolts on the front of the trans. Wore a groove into the converter about 0.5mm deep. Never effected the operation, but by running 2 block plates it will never happen.

Good luck

#8 ·
OK

Here's the deal.
The guys that I trust to advise me on this have made the following comments on the AOD.

Great transmission for standard application but needs some major work to last behind a 350 HP Clevo. Shift quality is no where near as good as the C10 can be when modified. Very expensive to rebuild to specs required to provide good performance and longevity. $AUD 3 - 4000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn............................

#9 ·
I thought you were looking at a BTR 4 speed auto, not a C4 type trans??? Why do you compare a modified C4 with a standard AOD? If you want 4 forward gears, the C4 doesn't get off the starting line.

OK, the C4 is an excellent transmission when modified, no question about it. The AOD is based on this transmission, hence it's easy interchangability.

AU$3-4k for a rebuild? Buy an overhaul kit from e-bay (about US$120), and the Max Elery Ford transmission manual and do it yourself. Get a shop to set the critical end float settings if you want. While overhauling, add a few bits to boost the strength - wide OD band, a shift kit, one piece input shaft maybe and you're done.

Or, buy a built trans from Baumann or Lentech. Prices are about US$1900 from memory. Easily capable of handling 350HP. What's the AU$ v's US$ at the moment? 0.75 ish?? So your're looking at <AU$3k including transport. It may seem like alot of cash, but quality and knowledge costs. The payback is trouble free cruising.

Now compare this AU3k with the cost of purchasing the BTR you were originally looking at, reconditioning and building the btr to cope with 350HP, and getting all the electronics to work.

At the end of the day, it's your call. The C4 is the lower cost way out, but you can't run 4.5 gears on the highway. With an overdrive gearbox you can. How much fun are those 4.5 gears in 1st and 2nd????

Good luck whatever you do (I'm tremec tko manual myself)

#10 ·
You could always add a gear vendors overdrive to the FMX / C4 / C6

See www.gearvendors.com

About $2500US plus shipping and installation - but it also gives you the option of a 6 speed box

You might be able to find one second hand as a lot of Fseries tow trucks ran them behind their C6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.