4EOD or C6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2003, 13:54   #1 (permalink)

4EOD or C6

I Have A 95' Bronco Whos Transmission Just Went On The Blitz. I Am Wanting To Put A C6 In It But Dont Know What Year Would Bolt Up To My Engine. If Anyone Could Help Me I Would Appreciate It. I Have The Stock 351w That Came With It In There. I Have A 4eod Currently In There. Thanks For The Help Out There.
35X12.50 BFG
3IN SINGLE EXAUST
CUSTOM FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS

'74 EB BRONCO
TO MUCH TO LIST

"R.L.T.W."
rngrjcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 14:05   #2 (permalink)

You won't be able to swap the C6 for the E4OD unless you want to lose all the electronics too. The E4OD's shift points, line pressure, torque converter lockup, etc. are electronically controlled by the PCM and bolting up a C6 will give the computer a heart attack!! The only way to make such a swap would be to pull the engine and tranny and put in a carbureted 351W and a C6.

The E4OD is a very strong tranny and given the age of your vehicle you'd be better off either having it rebuilt or picking up a reman unit and changing it yourself. If you're worried about the price, Ebay has some great deals on fresh rebuilds with warranty. I've seen them as low as $900 with a 1 year warranty.

Good luck!
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 14:14   #3 (permalink)

The Weep Hole On The Bottom Of The Tranny Seems To Be Were The Severe Leak Is Coming From. About 5 Days Prior, I Started Noticing That When You Took Of From A Stop, Shifting Into Second Gear Would Give You A "jolt" It Would Only Happen When The Vehicle Was Cold That I Could Remember. I Was Told That I Probably Blew Out The Front Main Seal Which Would Be A Lot Cheaper That 1600 For A New One. I Changed The Fluids In It About A Month Earlier And Put Lucas Oil In It. Without Sounding To Stupid, Do You Think It Could Just Be The Seal. There Is A Burnt Smell To The Fluid, I Went Through 2 Qts In 30 Mi. Appreciate The Help...
35X12.50 BFG
3IN SINGLE EXAUST

'74 EB BRONCO
TO MUCH TO LIST

"R.L.T.W."
Old 08-07-2003, 14:28   #4 (permalink)

You're talking about the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing that has a black rubber plug in it right? If so, then your front seal is definitely leaking. Running low on fluid will cause erratic shifting.

As long as you haven't run the tranny too low on fluid and burned the clutches you should be fine. Pull the tranny (not an easy task on the Bronco's) and change the front seal. Check the lip where the seal rides on the torque converter shaft to be sure it's not worn. If it is, go ahead and replace the torque converter or it will leak again.

A fluid change is a definite must. The burnt smell is not good and I wouldn't drive it anymore until you fix the problem. Drain the torque converter and pull the pan while you have it out and change the filter as well. If you have the extra money, just go ahead and replace the torque converter. They're known for causing shuddering while cruising in overdrive in the Bronco's.

Old 08-07-2003, 14:38   #5 (permalink)

92 Bronco, I Appreciate All The Help, You Are Write On The Rubber Plug. That Seems To Be The Source Of It All. As For Shuddering, Good Gawd. If You Hit 65 Your Speedometer Would Start Bouncing All Over And The Abs Light Would Come On Etc... I Tried To Baby It As I Just Bought The Thing And I Didnt Really Have The Time To Mess With It For Awhile, In The Military,. I Love My Eb Bronco And Built That From The Ground Up. The Big Brother Is Just To Computerized An Alot More Cranky. As For Torque Converter, Its The Norm For Them To Start Goin Out On Them? Mine Has 101k On The Thing So I Guess It Would Be Time. I Have A Cw3 (warrant Officer Senior Mech In Army Terms) That Said He'd Help Out On This. Do Ya Know How Long This Would Take Ruffly. Im Pretty Proficient Withi Mechanics On A 1-10 I Would Be A 6. I Could Ask You All Sorts Of Questions On It...
35X12.50 BFG
3IN SINGLE EXAUST

'74 EB BRONCO
TO MUCH TO LIST

"R.L.T.W."
Old 08-07-2003, 14:48   #6 (permalink)

I would plan on a good couple of days of labor on this one. The skid plates, cross member, transfer case, etc. all add time to the removal and installation process. Take your time and you should be fine.

If you don't have a tranny jack, plan on having at least 3 guys under there as the tranny and transfer case are heavy.

Regarding the second problem you mentioned, the sensor on the top of the rear differential is going out and you need to change it. The ABS uses that sensor to sense rear wheel lockup. The speedo also uses the sensor....that's why the needle is bouncing. It's very easy to change and is only about 20 bucks from Ford.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:35   #7 (permalink)

'92, I Talked To A Couple Friends Of Mine. The Current Thought Is That If You Unbolt The Bellhousing Bolts, The Transmission Mount Bolts, And Slide It Back, That You Should Have Access To The Torque Converter Then Seal. Does This Sound About Right. I Was Told That You Might Not Have To Drop The Hole Tranny/transfer? As For Advise Yours Seems To Be The Most Knowledgable So Im Comin To You On This...
35X12.50 BFG
3IN SINGLE EXAUST

'74 EB BRONCO
TO MUCH TO LIST

"R.L.T.W."
Old 08-08-2003, 10:00   #8 (permalink)

I crawled under my Bronco to take a look and there should be enough room for you to do it that way if you want, but prepare to wrestle with it.

Unbolt the tranny mount once you get all the bellhousing bolts out and put a floor jack under the bellhousing to support the weight of the front of the tranny. You'll also need to put a bottle jack or a similar small jack under the rear of the oil pan to keep the engine from tipping back once you slide the tranny/t-case back. (Use a block of wood so you don't mess up the pan!!!) Then you can either lift up the transfer case from behind the skid plate with another floor jack (which is what I would do) and slide the entire assembly back or you and another guy can lift and slide it back. There looks to be barely enough room for the tranny pan to clear the cross member and it should slide back.

Doing it like that won't be easy as there's a lot of weight to wrestle with under there but if you have a couple extra hands, you should be fine. If you don't already have one, get a manual from any autoparts store and use it!

Good luck

Old 08-08-2003, 10:21   #9 (permalink)

I Appreciate The Help, Im Fixing On Doing This Nut Roll This Weekend So I Will Let You Know How It Goes. One Question For You While I Have This Thing Dropped. I Noticed That I Could Not Get/push Button Into 4 Low. The Thing Would Go 4 High But Not Low. Any Ideas? Is This Transfer Simular Or Same As Yours? I Miss The Old Dana 20!!! Things Were So Easy On The Old Ones!!!
35X12.50 BFG
3IN SINGLE EXAUST

'74 EB BRONCO
TO MUCH TO LIST

"R.L.T.W."
Old 08-08-2003, 10:35   #10 (permalink)

You need to come to a complete stop and put the tranny in neutral before shifting into 4 low. Won't work any other way.....

As far as I know, the '92-96 Bronco's are pretty much identical except for a few minor changes to the electrical system. Your t-case should be a Borg Warner 1356. There should be a round tag on the rear of the t-case if you're interested.

Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline