4R70W TC Stays Locked Up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

4R70W TC Stays Locked Up

I have a 95' F150 supercab with 5 liter and 4R70W trans.
The truck has 112k on it.

I have this problem that started like over night. It happens all the time when the truck has set for over 8 hours. After driving it for say 2 to 3 miles it goes away and operates fine. I have no codes or lights flashing on the dash.

The problem is the TC stays locked up after driving out of 1st gear. It lugs hard going into other gears due to being locked up. When I come to a stop it lugs hard and drops the rpms to about 300 and then something releases and its ok until I go again. This same cycle will happen until I get the 2 to 3 miles on it, like mentioned above. I have found that if I put the selector into 1st it bypasses the lock up thing some how. I then put it into drive and start out again and then after it shifts its back again.

I have since completely drained the TC and trans and changed the filter with no change of anything.

This is driving me nuts! Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks, Dave
Farmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: 4R70W TC Stays Locked Up

i work on a lot of 94-97 f series trucks and i've seen a problem almost like yours but on these as soon as you put it in drive it stalls, converter locks up right away, putting it in low its fine(no lockup in first gear). it has always been the speedometer, amazing but true.attached to the instrument cluster is a sensor that tells the lock up how fast your going and when they go bad they seem to think youre going 100 mph at the time so it tells the converter to lock up pronto. could also be the solenoid pack in the tranny but that(usually) makes the overdrive light flash on the shifter.
Old 05-14-2007, 15:10   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
i work on a lot of 94-97 f series trucks and i've seen a problem almost like yours but on these as soon as you put it in drive it stalls, converter locks up right away, putting it in low its fine(no lockup in first gear). it has always been the speedometer, amazing but true.attached to the instrument cluster is a sensor that tells the lock up how fast your going and when they go bad they seem to think youre going 100 mph at the time so it tells the converter to lock up pronto. could also be the solenoid pack in the tranny but that(usually) makes the overdrive light flash on the shifter.
While this was happening to me, I noticed the light on the shifter handle flashing while towing a 6000 trailer last week. I didnt think it was related so I didnt mention it. How do I test for this speedometer or cluster in the trans? This may be my problem.

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-14-2007, 16:42   #4 (permalink)
wasnt me

i can't remember how we originally determined the cluster was the culprit, maybe just unplugging it? may also throw a code, tranny definitely will so a scan tool would be your best bet at a quick diagnosis.
Old 05-14-2007, 17:45   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I will scan it tomorrow with the snapon box our mechanics have at my work.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline