Ford Forums banner

5 Speed Nc Fairlane

4K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  sleepwalker 
#1 ·
At the moment I've got a EA with a 5 speed manual. Couple of months ago I blew my 3.45 lsd and its sitting in the garage waiting to be rebuilt. I am looking at buying a fully optioned NC fairlane ghia with a 5l v8 in the near future. I'll be putting the 3.45 lsd in it when I get it rebuilt and what I want to do is put the 5 speed in it. I know that the gearbox wil go in no probs, what I'd like to know is will I have any problems putting the clutch pedal in, ie will the clutch cradle fit or will I have to get one custom made. The other thing is the ecu. Does the NC use EECIV or EECV. I've got the manual EECIV in the EA and a Unichip.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The I6 box will not go behind the V8. You will have to get a V8 box because the input shaft is different and the fact that it's beefier so it'll handle the V8 grunt.

#6 ·
Probably possible, but I don't like you chances of the box lasting. I have killed two T5's behind an I6 both times the only mod was a 2.5in exhaust. The I6 boxes aren't terribly strong when used in I6 applications, I cringe at the thought of what might happen to one behind a V8! lol.

#7 ·
last time i had the ea on the dyno it put out 126 rwkw. Never had any problems with the box. I did snap an axle and blew a 3.45 lsd and the clutch slips a bit. That's why I was thinking it wouldn't have any problems sitting behind a stock 5L. I can get my hands on a supra 5 speed. Are there places that make bellhousings to fit them on a windsor? Would a tremec 3550 bolt up to the stock belhousing? Which would be better?

#11 ·
The T5 is the same v8 to I6, just the input shaft is different.
Try getting a manual bellhousing to suit an older 302 with a 4-speed manual, then either having it cut down, or putting the v8 input shaft into the T5 and adjusting the bolt pattern. Either should work reasonably well.
Of course, no.1 would also suit using a Supra box.

#13 ·
Yeah snapped the axle doing burnouts.
The supra box isn't of a turbo supra so I'll stick with my T5.
This is what I'm thinking: Bellhousing of a ED XR8 manual, rebuilding my t5 using a v8 input shaft as long as everything else is the same. Should I have any probs with that combination? Will the tailshaft need to b modified?
Do you guys know if the clutch cradle will fit the NC?
I looked it up on the net and the NC uses EECIV so I can use my ecu (i'm assuming they're the same for I6 and V8, right?)

#15 ·
Out of intrest, how much was the supra box?

#16 ·
ltdho like i said i have a manual ea with a EECIV so the ecu is not a problem. I would just change it when the box goes in. I also have a unichip to smooth out any problem that MIGHT come up.
Psycho chicken, a friend that has the supra box picked it up for $350. It was fully rebuilt just before he got it. He wanted to put it in his FC LTD 351 but decided to go with a top loader. I can get it for less than that of him as long as I put it in my car and don't sell it (not that I'd do that).

#17 ·
:O

Ask him how much he wants for it!

If you're in vic or it's not too much to ship I'd be VERY interested.

#18 ·
I'm in adelaide psycho chicken. I'll ask him. He might sell it as he crased his triumph 2 weeks ago and needs to come up with $7K to get it fixed. I don't what he'll ask for it. He'd give it to me for a mates rate, but like I said I can't/wouldn't buy it off him for almoust nothing and sell it to make a profit. If he wants to sell it and you like the price, I can get it to melb for almost nothing. I work as a database administrator in a transport company and can get a big fat discount.

#19 ·
That combination should be fine. You'll probably need a flywheel, v8 should be different to 6.
Not having worked on them, I don't know for sure, but I also believe the v8 computer will not work with a 6 and vice versa. For starters there's the MAF as opposed to MAP.
Your dizzy will send the wrong pulses, throwing out the bank fire, and I dunno for sure but I think the 8 is SEFI?

It is possible to fool the auto computer by using a resistor to tell it the box is in N. I suggest that's your best bet.

BTW out of curiosity, how the hell did you manage to convince somebody to break up a v8 manual conversion?

#20 ·
That would be great, cheers mate.

#21 ·
mongrelEB said:
BTW out of curiosity, how the hell did you manage to convince somebody to break up a v8 manual conversion?
I haven't got the bellhousing yet. I'm just saying I would use that. At the moment I'm struggling between the NC and a gsxr1000. I need a new car as the EA has just about had it. On the other hand, my leg is fully healed and the pin is coming out of my right leg in a couple of months so I wanna get a new bike. I would go through with the conversion if I get the NC. just wanna find out whats it gonna take to get the 5 speed in the NC, ie what I can salvageof the EA.

#22 ·
Hey you've got the same damage as me! :wnc:

I reckon you'll be really lucky to get somebody to break up a v8 manual set dude. I mean really. It's worth about $2-3k as a kit. You'll have more luck with an older 4-speed manual bellhousing I figure.

Well worth it but! :driver:

As a word of warning, check that box out. The T5 does not oil the input/mainshaft bearing very well, with the result the mainshaft wears down and needs to be machined and resleeved. I suggest that's what happened to EAII_Fairmont's boxes :s Certainly I'd check it before putting it behnd a v8, even a little v8 like the 302.
But other than that, the T5 is capable of a fair amount of horses. Just be warned about the bearing.

#23 ·
mongrelEB said:
Hey you've got the same damage as me! :wnc:
Yeah but I got mine way before you! :wnc:
lol
The gearbox is in very good condition, but I'd get it rebuilt and do what needs to be done before putting it in. Money for the conversion wouldn't be much of an issue as I'd have about 4-5 thou to play with, depending on how much I get the car for. It will have to be manual. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure which I'm getting yet. It's hard to resist the power and performance of the gixxer.

#24 ·
Yeah but then look down at your leg :angel:

Also you can get more people in a car - whack in a sunroof and you've got a bloody good night out ahead of you!

#25 ·
mongrelEB said:
Yeah but then look down at your leg :angel:

Also you can get more people in a car - whack in a sunroof and you've got a bloody good night out ahead of you!
Yeah but I'm not limping anymore! hehehe

Thats just the problem, everyone seems to confuse my car for a taxi. I will get both, just a matter of which to get first...

#26 ·
Oh well in that case do what my brother's doing - got a CBR 250 while he fixes up his car good, then he reckons he wants an R1 or something :wnc:

Personally I reckon you're all mad - it's hard enough to survive driving cars let alone bikes! ;) although I will admit bikes are fun to fang about on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.