'63 Galaxie rear making noise...help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 23:10   #1 (permalink)

confused '63 Galaxie rear making noise...help!!

My '63 galaxie is a life long california car i just bought it last week. The guy said the suspension was making noise but when i got in it and got it home i realized the noise is coming from the rear. I took off the tires and jacked it up. The fluid in the rear is ok and the noise is coming from the end of the axel i guess maybe where a bearing would be. The problem I see is that there is no differential cover on this and I dont know how to get the axel out to inspect what is going on. When the axel is spinning slow it seems to be ok but as it speeds up it gets noisier and noisier.......anyone with any help would be awesome right now
buddy_malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 19:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: '63 Galaxie rear making noise...help!!

It could be a wheel bearing. It could also be a carrier or pinion bearing. Pull the wheels and hubs off. There is a hole in the axle flange to stick a 5/8 or so socket into so you can remove the axle retainer bolts. Pull the axles out, and drop the driveshaft. Then remove all the bolts on the front of the differential. Leave one bolt on the top loose, and break the seal so you can drain the oil out first.

If it has never been out there are little copper washers crushed into the threads that you have to pick and dig at to get off before the third member will come out. You wont need these when putting it back together. Its not going to leak without them.

Be careful when removing the third member, this thing is heavy, so dont let it fall on your head.
Take it and the axles to a machine shop and have them checked out. They should be able to tell you what it needs and do the work. Its probably just a wheel bearing. Also check the u-joints on the driveshaft while you have it out. Pull a cap off and look at the bearings and the post they ride on. If there are marks on it, replace the u-joints as well. The post should be very smooth and have some grease on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline