Ford Forums banner

8 3/4" diff

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  INJECTED250 
#1 ·
i am in the not so distant future going to run a 351,fmx or c4 hadnt decided yet what would be the best trans to go with but i was wondering if the 8 3/4 will handle 300+ hp. I was thinking maybe a 3.23:1 or 3.45:1 in a 8 3/4" housing. My main question is that will the diff handle the power or would a nine inch be more at home behind the beast? Im not into doing burnouts,but i want a diff with a good ratio for take offs but mainly cruizin would this do? Also i heard somewhere that 8 3/4 housing will fit a later model diff centre BUT has to be the 2.92:1 ratio or higher (not 2.77:1) for some unknown reason, but i was reading a thread the other day and a bloke with an AU put an EL diff in or something and the ppl told him it didnt fit any experiences? and how much would a nine inch cost to make fit an xe eg buying diff,ratio change,fitting any one done this before.
Thanks

#3 ·
well first thing i guess your talking about a borgwarner diff not an 8 3/4 inch diff, the 8 3/4 were used in Tank Fairlanes and some older mustangs, borgwarners were used in the majority of falcons XB onwards.

but on to the real question yeah you can make a 9inch fit your XE what you will need to do however is get all the corresponding brakets and linkages from your current diff welded onto your 9inch, because all 9inch diffs were made for leaf spring rear ends and your XE will be a coil spring rear end.
i'd say you could pick up a drum 9inch of unknown quality for $500 then you get to start spending money on it like reconditioning the centre fitting LSD and a ratio change.

or you can put the money you would spend on a 9inch conversion into beefing up your borgwarner diff. i haven't played much with borgwarners there pretty cheap, they break you put another one in.

#4 ·
the eb/el borgy diffs are prety strong, my boss has an ef wagon diff in his xc coupe with a 378 stroker clevo, this puts out450 hp and a whole lot of torque... id go the borgwarner

The nine inch will prob have 28 spline axels, the borgy has this 2, the nine inch will have 4 pinion center the borgy has this to, the ef diff will have dick brakes, the nine inch prob wont, and the ef/el diff will be easyier to make fit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.