9" axles. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 02:39   #1 (permalink)
slikxb

9" axles.

g'day, trying to chase up some 28 spline drum brake 9" axles.
They are custom length .
Last time I bought one from central it was $170 .
This time cheapest quote I got was $275 each from central.
Keysborough are $325 each.
For that sort of price I'd be tempted to spend a bit more and get strange or moser axles, a name brand with a breakage garauntee or warranty.
But all I really want is a cheap custom length axle.
Do these prices sound realistic, or am I just turning into a tight-arse because of the many times I have been ripped off.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: 9" axles.

Last time I checked with Supatrik ones to suit disc rear were $150. It was $100 from memory to shorten and repline.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:05   #3 (permalink)

The last axels i bought were about $450 each. Dont forget to factor in a bearing, heavy duty retainer plate, and wheel studs if needed.

Since you are replacing one, i presume it has twisted? Why not consider upgrading to 31 spline to fix the problem? Its easy to replace the spider gears, and enlarge the axel holes in the hemisphere to suit.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:49   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
g'day, trying to chase up some 28 spline drum brake 9" axles.
They are custom length .
Last time I bought one from central it was $170 .
This time cheapest quote I got was $275 each from central.
Keysborough are $325 each.
For that sort of price I'd be tempted to spend a bit more and get strange or moser axles, a name brand with a breakage garauntee or warranty.
But all I really want is a cheap custom length axle.
Do these prices sound realistic, or am I just turning into a tight-arse because of the many times I have been ripped off.
i just had a set made up (moser) they cost me $645.00 for the pair bare. as racer said though factor in bearings etc. invoice is at work i can let you know the indivdual prices tomorrow.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 19:38   #5 (permalink)
slikxb

Quote:
i just had a set made up (moser) they cost me $645.00 for the pair bare. as racer said though factor in bearings etc. invoice is at work i can let you know the indivdual prices tomorrow.
Thanks reece that'd be good, The quotes I got were all with bearings and ret plates. But like i said if it works out to be 100 dearer I would prefer moser, ect.
Quote:
Since you are replacing one, i presume it has twisted? Why not consider upgrading to 31 spline to fix the problem? Its easy to replace the spider gears, and enlarge the axel holes in the hemisphere to suit.
I'm actually replacing both, Shortened diff housing. But I didn't realise it was that easy to make a 28 into a 31 spline, this sounds like a good idea cause my lsd is in need of a full reco anyway.

Just one more question, Is anybody out there using a Geelong diffs locker?
I read about them ages ago, streetmachine I think, but cant find the article.
from memory they turn a single wheeler into a locker centre, anyone know of or heard good or bad things about these?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:18   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks reece that'd be good, The quotes I got were all with bearings and ret plates. But like i said if it works out to be 100 dearer I would prefer moser, ect.

I'm actually replacing both, Shortened diff housing. But I didn't realise it was that easy to make a 28 into a 31 spline, this sounds like a good idea cause my lsd is in need of a full reco anyway.

from memory they turn a single wheeler into a locker centre, anyone know of or heard good or bad things about these?
better late than never 31 spline moser axles $645
5/8 studs & nuts $165
bearing sets $150
axle spacers $40
retaining plates $20
seal kit $20
drain & refill plugs $70
u- bolts $35
labour to shorten and align housing $300
total of $1445.00 but to save money you could drop studs,drain plugs,u bolts (mine were s%^t ).and if your housing is shortened already this should roughly cost you $795.00 without axle spacers and retaining plates.you can use your own studs & plates
Old 06-24-2005, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
slikxb

cheers reece
Old 07-02-2005, 01:57   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

did you end up getting it sorted out, what did you use
Old 07-08-2005, 23:15   #9 (permalink)
slikxb

Yer mate, ended up buying strange 31 spliners off VPW for $575 with retainers, bearings + studs.
A little bit more than I would have liked to spend, but I'm quite used to it as most of us are I would expect.
Now to blow another $600 rebuiding my lsd , Or should I just spend a little bit more and buy a detriot locker
Old 07-09-2005, 01:02   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yer mate, ended up buying strange 31 spliners off VPW for $575 with retainers, bearings + studs.
A little bit more than I would have liked to spend, but I'm quite used to it as most of us are I would expect.
Now to blow another $600 rebuiding my lsd , Or should I just spend a little bit more and buy a detriot locker
well it pays to shop around. sounds like a top deal, i did not even know v.p.w did that sort of stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline