9" axles ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

9" axles ?

I pulled my diff centre this morning and turned out to be a 3.5 ratio, so much for 3.7 any way funds are a little tight so I decided to keep the ratio.
A mate had a centre re-build and only had it in his car for a month then decided to go 31 spline and locker setup , so I'm getting my gears fitted to it,etc...

Also gave me a set of 28 spline axles which may come in handy if I end have having trouble, also out of an xy so they bolt straight in. (my diff is from an XY) Funny thing about the axles is they are the same thickness all the way through, mine taper down heaps, these new ones look really huge compaired to mine..I didn't realise they came with different tapers/diameters, is this normal ?
will they be any stronger ?
Also note the spacer plate on the axle, is this normal ??
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 22:39   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: 9" axles ?

Looks like one is a small bearing and the other is a large bearing axle.
Also i beleive the 8.8" axles had no taper whereas the 9" axles did - not 100% on this though...
Old 06-18-2005, 23:49   #3 (permalink)

dont know about the taper, mine are fat all the way to the spline, i have 31 spline and 28 spline ones here, the only thing i go on is the bearing size and lengh . XC had wide bearings about 38mm wide good for fat rubber ect. If u need to change ratios let me know i have 3.9 and 4.3 or 3.25 and 3.5 31 spline posi centers.
Old 06-19-2005, 00:20   #4 (permalink)

The bearings are the same on both sets of axles.
Old 06-19-2005, 16:00   #5 (permalink)

All 9 inch axles aren't created the same. Some are necked down, com are smooth, and some are rough. Before the widespead availability of cheap billet axles, the "glassy" axles were the preferred choice.

That extra spacer ring shown on one axle is used to locate the brake backing plates which are a different offset between Aust and USA. The axles aren't interchangeable. The thicker retaining plate is aftermarket.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 17:09   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
All 9 inch axles aren't created the same. Some are necked down, com are smooth, and some are rough. Before the widespead availability of cheap billet axles, the "glassy" axles were the preferred choice.

That extra spacer ring shown on one axle is used to locate the brake backing plates which are a different offset between Aust and USA. The axles aren't interchangeable. The thicker retaining plate is aftermarket.
Why aren't the axles interchangeable, can't I just remove the spacer pate ?
Old 06-19-2005, 17:38   #7 (permalink)

Yes they are interchangeable, if you cut the spacer ring off - presuming of course you require the type that doesnt require the ring.

By the way, those thick heavy duty retainer plates a gold. I would never use a 9 inch without them.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 18:03   #8 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
I pulled my diff centre this morning and turned out to be a 3.5 ratio, so much for 3.7 any way funds are a little tight so I decided to keep the ratio.
A mate had a centre re-build and only had it in his car for a month then decided to go 31 spline and locker setup , so I'm getting my gears fitted to it,etc...

Also gave me a set of 28 spline axles which may come in handy if I end have having trouble, also out of an xy so they bolt straight in. (my diff is from an XY) Funny thing about the axles is they are the same thickness all the way through, mine taper down heaps, these new ones look really huge compaired to mine..I didn't realise they came with different tapers/diameters, is this normal ?
will they be any stronger ?
Also note the spacer plate on the axle, is this normal ??
Hey mate if you ever want to get rid of that 3.5 centre let me know as i have been looking for a reasonable second hand one for a while now.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline