9" Disc Brake Rear End - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 00:34   #1 (permalink)

9" Disc Brake Rear End

would anybody out there have any photos of a 9" disc brake rear end to suit xa - xd, i know there are differences between these models but that part is not that critical. i just need some clear photo's to aid the project i'm working on

thanks in advance,

378ute
378ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: 9" Disc Brake Rear End

One of the main differences is the way the handbrake mech activates. XA/B from memory pull the oposite way to XC/D. The other is the bearing on the axle. On my website I've got a pic of under the car. If you look carefully. You can see the passenger side handbrake mech lever.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378ute
would anybody out there have any photos of a 9" disc brake rear end to suit xa - xd, i know there are differences between these models but that part is not that critical. i just need some clear photo's to aid the project i'm working on

thanks in advance,

378ute
I have an XB 9 inch in my XD, but with my borgy disc calipers, instead of the older handbrake type ones. Still, same really.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08   #4 (permalink)

xdclevo, i have the XB disc brake rear end, but also have the XB brakes. The only way i think they can work is to have the brakes on the front of the disc, opposite of the way the pic shows. just can't find out if this is right or not.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

xdclevo's are XC/D type not XB type. Just reminded me that XA/B calipers on located on the front and XC/D are on the rear
Old 05-13-2005, 17:42   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
xdclevo's are XC/D type not XB type. Just reminded me that XA/B calipers on located on the front and XC/D are on the rear
Yeah, i just took the old style XB calipers off my XB diff, and then bolted on the XD calipers. The lucky thing with the disc 9 inches is the floating caliper bracket. It enables to put old or new type calipers on either XB or XC diff housings, and change from the crappy front position, to the std rear mounting position if you wish.
Old 05-13-2005, 17:57   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
xdclevo, i have the XB disc brake rear end, but also have the XB brakes. The only way i think they can work is to have the brakes on the front of the disc, opposite of the way the pic shows. just can't find out if this is right or not.
Just read your post sorry. I DO have the old style "XA/XB" diff, that had the front mounted "old" style calipers, with the big long handbrake arm, facing the diff centre.

I then just removed the XB calipers from the front, and mounted my XD calipers at the rear. Let me know if you want to know how its done. The floating caliper mount is the trick. Takes 5 minutes once appart.
Mines been rear mounted since 1994.
Old 05-13-2005, 19:18   #8 (permalink)

thanks for the confirmation. was wondering obviously it would be easier to convert the brakes to XD, what parts do i need to buy; ie. backing plates etc.. taking into account the XB disc brake mounts on the inside of the axle flange, and the XD on the outside of the axle flange, this concerns me as i'm currently getting billet axles made.
Well i've just had the XB brakes fully recoed, but am missing the handrake cable bracket, which attaches over the springs. Wondering whether you still have these brackets or alternatively anyone who sells them.
thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 22:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks for the confirmation. was wondering obviously it would be easier to convert the brakes to XD, what parts do i need to buy; ie. backing plates etc.. taking into account the XB disc brake mounts on the inside of the axle flange, and the XD on the outside of the axle flange, this concerns me as i'm currently getting billet axles made.
Well i've just had the XB brakes fully recoed, but am missing the handrake cable bracket, which attaches over the springs. Wondering whether you still have these brackets or alternatively anyone who sells them.
thanks
You dont need any new parts at all. Just swap the calipers. The only thing i had done was on the backing plates, where the flexible brake lines bolt to, i had to get the little right angle bracket spot welded to a different spot, for the diff calipers.(could probably do without anyway) I did this 11 years ago, but i am sure you take out both axels, then the floating bracket that sits on the bearings is swaped from left to right, and right to left, then bolt the XD caliper at the back side. All good. This is what i took off, before fitting my std XD calipers. I'm sure its the XB type caliper from the front side.
Old 04-18-2009, 00:57   #10 (permalink)

guys does the same info apply when converting an xy to rear to zd calipers as well wanting to go disc rear on my xy as well as xc iron pbr calipers up front this is my only option as i still want to use 14 and 15inch wheels
sgtvicaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline