9" ford diff rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

9" ford diff rebuild

Well I decided to rebuild my diff. was shuddering around corners, and was not acting LSD as it used too. came apart all good, dropped the center into a shop to rebuild and change ratio, now trying to put it all back together I have the center and drivers side axle in, but the left axle simply refuses to go home. I cant see anything obvious stopping it, the only things i can think of is that the bearing might not be seating in the housing properly, or the axle is hitting something in the center? other axle maybe - is this possible?

Have everything lined up, and it sliders in real nice then just goes clunk about 10 mm short and stops. cant get it any further. bearing is halfway in, bolts just to short to get nuts on to try to pull it home.

the splines in the center are engaged, all looks good but it will not move that last 10 mm.

this is a disk brake diff (XB GT style).

Got me stumped, any ideas?
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 23:36   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: 9" ford diff rebuild

Mine does exactly the same. It's a matter of holding your tongue on the right angle. Make sure the splines on the axle aren't twisted/damaged.
Old 08-11-2005, 00:42   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73gscoupe
Well I decided to rebuild my diff. was shuddering around corners, and was not acting LSD as it used too. came apart all good, dropped the center into a shop to rebuild and change ratio, now trying to put it all back together I have the center and drivers side axle in, but the left axle simply refuses to go home. I cant see anything obvious stopping it, the only things i can think of is that the bearing might not be seating in the housing properly, or the axle is hitting something in the center? other axle maybe - is this possible?

Have everything lined up, and it sliders in real nice then just goes clunk about 10 mm short and stops. cant get it any further. bearing is halfway in, bolts just to short to get nuts on to try to pull it home.

the splines in the center are engaged, all looks good but it will not move that last 10 mm.

this is a disk brake diff (XB GT style).

Got me stumped, any ideas?
Have you got the left-hand & right-hand axles mixed up. On my 9" (out of ZH) the left axle is slightly shorter & the splines are longer. Hope this helps.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:11   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like the splines in the centre aren't lined up.The left axle should really go in first since the left side has 2 sets of splines,one for the clutch hub and one for the side gear.It's possible these are not aligned correctly.You might be able to see up the axle tube with a torch.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39   #5 (permalink)

The clutch hub and passenger side spider gear has to be lined up when the LSD hemisphere is pressed together. This is usually done with an axle stub. Then you always put in the short axle first.

If the two sets of splines are not even closely alligned then hitting the axle can damage the centre. I have had sucess with worn LSD units by putting a wheel on the axle backwards and turning/jerking it with the outer splines engaged; trying to get it to turn/allign with the inner splines.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:11   #6 (permalink)

Axles are in the correct sides. Pulled out the right hand side again, and tried the left. Still the same. no amount of jiggling or verbal abuse will make it go in.

The spline alignment is looking suspect. when i look at the wear pattern for the second set of splines on the left axle, it looks exactly like the distance that I need to push the axle home.

anyways took a photo of the splines. I think they are almost 180 out. Can I get these back into line somehow, or does the center need to come out and apart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diff splines.JPG (128.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-11-2005, 15:15   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Axles are in the correct sides. Pulled out the right hand side again, and tried the left. Still the same. no amount of jiggling or verbal abuse will make it go in.

The spline alignment is looking suspect. when i look at the wear pattern for the second set of splines on the left axle, it looks exactly like the distance that I need to push the axle home.

anyways took a photo of the splines. I think they are almost 180 out. Can I get these back into line somehow, or does the center need to come out and apart?
If the diff builder has set the LSD up tight you have very little chance of turning it. I would still try to move it with a wheel on the axle as stated previously. Otherwise the only way I know is to dissasemble the hemisphere. I would ring and talk to the diff builder.
Old 08-11-2005, 18:22   #8 (permalink)

Solved! popped in easy as pie...

all i had to do was hold the input yoke, then rotate the right wheel (which will spin the center pinion gears and hence the side gear which will line the splines up. has to be near dead right. im so relieved, i was having one of those "its all going to have to come apart again" moments.

Well if nothing else i know a hell of alot more about diffs now.

Thanks for you help guys.
Old 08-11-2005, 19:07   #9 (permalink)
old B - new B

isn`t it good when it all just works .

think on the bright side ........ now you have a photo you can use if you want to disapear for a while.
you can say " i was kidnaped by space men. look i even got a picture of their ship."
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:17   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Solved! popped in easy as pie...

all i had to do was hold the input yoke, then rotate the right wheel (which will spin the center pinion gears and hence the side gear which will line the splines up. has to be near dead right. im so relieved, i was having one of those "its all going to have to come apart again" moments.

Well if nothing else i know a hell of alot more about diffs now.

Thanks for you help guys.
The LSD must have been set up pretty loose by the reconditioner. If it had been set up tight that would never had worked. Lucky for you, but remember always remove short axle last and install first in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline