Ford Forums banner

9" ratio

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  marcuss 
#1 ·
I've got a 351c with auto and a standard 6 pack diff behind it. What i am looking at doing is putting a manual 5 speed and a 9" in there place, what would be the best gearbox and 9" ratio for around the streets? and rough pricing.

#2 ·
Best 9" ratio would probably be a 3.5:1 or a 3.7:1.

The best gearboc will depend on how much power your putting out, but a supra 5 speed is usually tough enough for most mild engines, supra turbo for high HP engines.

I'd say the fact a stock auto has survived means a non turbo box will be fine.

#3 ·
I saw a supra gearbox in the trading post this week for $620. I think he was in NSW. Speak to Rod Hadfield about a bellhousing/clutch/crossmember. He probably has a kit available but I reckon it won't be cheap.

If I may make a suggestion, unless you are doing a lot of highway miles I wouldn't bother with a five speed, just get a toploader and save yourself some bucks. Parts are easy to source and everything bolts straight in. No need to dick around with shifters, speedo gears, crossmembers, starter motors and the like and unless you are making big horsepower they are hard to break.

If you are after a 9" and you are in Melbourne, I have an XY width LSD 3.25 ratio with finned GT drums and powdercoated housing for sale for $700. Nice unit, cheap, cheap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.