'90 EA idle, transmission issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 02:02   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

'90 EA idle, transmission issue

Just passing on an e-mail I received in case anyone has any ideas. Cheers!

"Hi sorry to bother you,
My lady friend has a 90 EA wagon 4 speed auto on the tree. Has a reasonably rare problem - can you help me?
At idle it hunts. It just had a module and dizzy recondition.
Why is this, and is there a base idle procedure? I have a sound knowledge of the repair game and am qualified, but don't work in this field.

Problem 2: car is stuck in top gear. Help is asked from you,
regards"

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

CFI or MPI?

as for the box, its probably stuck in limp home mode. if its MPI I'd reckon the best place to start would be a reset of the computer.......dunno what it could be if its CFI

if it is CFI just tell him to swap to MPI hahaha

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:19   #3 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
ok you might need to clean your idle air controler (iac)
because oil thats escapes the pvc valves and oil breather lines will re-enter the engine via the throttle body (tb) thus the iac gets gunkt up with crappy oil and then dosent work properly and you end up with a real crap idle.(this prob always happens on high k engine with worn rings and such which expiriances oil blow by.
i'll give a quick run down on what you need to do
here it goes (feel free to add or criticise this)-

1. unbolt the iac with a 10mm socket (for those who are wondering is it is the little cylinder shaped thing bolted to the throttle body)
and disconect the wiring conection from the main injection loom and iac.

2. take the iac out and put it on the work bench.

3. undo the grub screws on the body of the iac and then pull it apart (so you have 2 parts)

4.get some mineral turpintine and put it in the iac body hold all the holes in the iac closed and shake it round (use a lint free rag if ur really keen)

5. you will notice a little plunger on 1 half of the iac (the side that bolts to the tb) seal of all the holes on the iac body and fill it up with turps and then press the plunger in and let it come back out on its own (repeat this step 5-10 or so times-so you are sure its clean)

6. leave it all apart to air dry for about an hour or so (if you cant wait that long then use a rag but make sure it is lint free cos any foreign mater in the iac upsets them)

7. while it is drying out take another lint free rag and some turps and have a look at the throttle body and you will notice two holes on the top of it get a thin screw driver and put the rag over the end and drown it in turps then push it back and forth in the holes on top of the throttle body.

8.check the iac gasket is not cracked or torn if so replace it with a new one or cut another one out of hard paper or similar.

9. put the iac back together then reinstall back into the car but make sure you put the gasket and iac in the right way.

10. disconect the battery for 10 min to reset the ecu then start up the car and observe the idle.

11. if the idle still has probs-well then i've just wasted my time doing this post and it is obviously something else!!

i did this very often (every 3 months)with my ea cos it had idle probs and it was a 230 tho engine and was always reing reved to redline and back (i wanted to kill the engine).and every time i did this my idle probs went away

sorry if this post is long and jack feel free to move this post

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Cheers for your help guys. :s5

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline