Ford Forums banner

90 EA II 4 speed auto, planning recon + upgrade, help please

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dellboy999 
#1 ·
Hi, these forums have been a wealth of info to me since buying a ford earlier this year.

Ive been told my auto is in desperate need of a full service, it still changes nice etc but give it a 2-3 min thrash (rev to 4500-5200 before next allowing next gear change) and it gets hot enough to smell the oil when u park the car and hop out.

Ive been quoted 550 for a full service, inc swaping belts.

Now Ive been in the process of hotting up my na I6 a bit and would like to spend some $ on the gearbox since it will be getting a full service soon.

I understand a shiftkit will make for nice sharp changes, improving the overall responsiveness. Do I use a taxi 1 or is there a certain brand that is better than others. Could some1 give me a rough idea to the price on a shift kit to please, I live in WA.

my car starts to produce a nice amount of power at 3000 rpm, the stall converter seems to kick in between 1500-1700rpm. I would like to have it kick in a bit higher (2500) would prolly be nice, is there a cheap way to do this or am I looking at spending $400 upwards on a high stall converter.

Lastly is there anything else that would shine from a little attention while the rest of the transmission internals are getting done.

---------------------------

1990 30th aniversery EA s-pack, rosewood red
3.9 MPEFI, new EB head, old 1 blew up 2 weeks after purchase (unty perth car yard).
Pacemaker extractors, Lukey mandrel bent sports system, cheap turbo cat, turbo muffler.
k&n clone air pod sitting straight on throttle body (I actually managed to permit it there :angel:)
tyres 205 front, 225 rear (225 for front when $ permits).

See less See more
#2 ·
Gearbox you can put in heavy duty clutches to handle more power, and replace the S5 solenoid with an AU adjustable while at it, the shift kit is an electronic change so can be done anytime, upping the stall convertor is the only way, I dont how streetable 2500 with a stock engine will be, let alone possible effect on fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.