91 ford thunderbird transmission probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2001, 17:51   #1 (permalink)
scorpionz

91 ford thunderbird transmission probs

i own a 91 ford thunderbird sport coupe 2door 5.0 v8 and lately i've been having some serious transmission probs.. heres how things have gone in the past month..

bout last month, i noticed that when gaining speed at a reasonable rate, it would sputter just a bit and not have that much power, so i decided to get an oil change and i also put in some botch platinum +4 plugs.. ran great, had more pickup and go.. then just recently it started to not want to shift to 2nd and 3rd, like it would hesitate and now it doesn't wanna shift at all from 1st (mind you, this is an automatic).. fluids were at correct levels when checked too..

well, a friend of mine said that i should maybe change my transmission filter, so did so.. (how much trans fluid does this car hold?) we put 8 quarts in and its still reads low on the stick.. also, there were no metal shavings in the pan or oil but there were 4 lil shavings of some yellow hard peices that looked like fiberglass that was in the pan.. what was that? hmm.. but anyway.. after we did all this, we tried it out, still doesn't shift from 1st.. hmm..

what is wrong?! i love this car and i just don't know what happened.. it ran great for a good time and just out of the blue this started.. please, any help would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 12:10   #2 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

What tranny is in there now? Is it the AOD?

If so it could be a vaccuum leak. The shifting on most trannies (older ones at least, i dunno if your is electronic controlled) is contrilled by a vaccuum modulator plugged into the front9usually) of the transmission. If you have a vaccuum leak in the hose that connects to it, it would keep you from shifting.

If it's electronically controlled.....ugh....I'll see what i can find.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:33   #3 (permalink)
scorpionz

i really have no idea..
Old 10-23-2001, 12:35   #4 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Well, i gotta go into werk today anyways...i'll see what you should have in there and what the problem may be.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:52   #5 (permalink)
scorpionz

k, tnx!
Old 11-05-2001, 06:55   #6 (permalink)
96GreenBirdLX

AOD

Your transmission is an AOD. the transmissions only control is the Throttle position sensor it is tied to your AOD by the TV cable.

There is an article on how to adjust your TV cable at:
www.tccoa.com

You can also ask on their board. They know more than me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline