95 e-150 c6 (?) tranny issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 18:05   #1 (permalink)

confused 95 e-150 c6 (?) tranny issue

Hey guys, last week i scored a 95 econoline 150 clubwagon conversion (nice dual use vehicle, both family and tools/materials will fit ya know), got it for 650, at the time it needed the exhaust welded back on, took it for a test drive real quick down the free way to make sure it didnt slip or anything, coudlnt hear anything cause of the missing section under the passenger seat exhaust, but seemed fine. This week, after i bought it, and got the exhaust welded back on, I think i feel the tranny slipping. It's hard to tell, so i'll just best describe and you guys tell me your opinion or if it's just a sensor. I'd hate to take it to a shop where ofcourse theyll say it's a bad tranny when chances are all it is a cheap sensor i can grab off ebay for 10 bucks ya know.

I'm pretty sure it's a c6, i know it's a 4.9 inline 6, and the only info i saw the net all said c6, it's a 3spd.
Ok, if i'm sitting at a light and give the gas a light press to ease out, the van shudders and feels like the tranny is slipping, evens out and is fine after i hit like 8-10 mph. But if i'm at the light and give it medium to heavy gas, it takes right off without any feeling of slipping. (that i notice... i definately notice it with light pedal, i dont really notice it with heavy, but i just got the van so not sure how it's "suppose" to drive ya know, if it was my truck and something started going wrong with it, i'd know exactly what it was, but with this one, it's hard to tell cause it was pre existing ya know). I threw a can of transx in it, no difference at all.
Does this sound like a tranny issue, does it sound like it's slipping, or does it sound like a sensor or torque converter (never had a bad torque converter before, so not sure what it does when bad...). Yes, the fluid is full. Sorry guys, this is all i can really describe it as, it feels like it's slipping, but shifts fine through the rest, on cars i 've had before with slipped trannys, usually if it's slipping and i give it gas, it usually slips more, this takes right off.
Thanks much gents, i really hate having to pay a shop to look at it and place all my trust in thier hands ya know. I've seen it far too many times, guy goes in with a simple fix and next is paying 700 bucks for some big deal when all it needed was a 10 dollar fix ya know.. Thanks gents. appreciate it.
lostsoul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: 95 e-150 c6 (?) tranny issue

G'day,
not sure if the C6 has a cable or vac kickdown.
If its cable, i'd guess it is probably out of adjustment.
If its vac, then check the vac lines are connected, not split etc. Also check the vac unit on the box is not leaking fluid, it could also be crook.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:42   #3 (permalink)

thanks, i'll check that out this weekend.
Old 01-11-2007, 15:43   #4 (permalink)

hmm,, post thought... if my oil in my rear axle was low, would taht also do the same thing??? it would make a winding noise if it was low right. thanks again.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:36   #5 (permalink)

Well,
if your diff oil was low it MAY whine some. If the diff is shagged then it WILL whine....but you never mentioned this.
Something you never mentioned was if the tranny behaved differently cold or hot....that could also be some information a tranny expert needs for successful diagnosis.

What you describe sounds like a tranny issue, and i believe it has a lot to do with the kickdown system.

I am no trans expert, I am simply offering up the tid bits i have learnt over 20 years, as starting point. These starting points quite often resolve the issues at hand. They cost nothing to check if you have the basic knowledge of what to look for. If you don't have that much, then the purchase of a fatter checkbook is advised.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline