Ford Forums banner

97 Mondeo Transmission problem

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  sohappy 
#1 · (Edited)
Another one with 97 Mondeo Transmission problems

I have a 97 2.0 Mondeo stationwagon and it has suddenly developed a transmission problem where it seems to stay in first gear for a long period of time. It also doesn't seem to go into overdrive and the overdrive light blinks.

I have had it on the computer scanner and the fault codes are T0732 and T0734. The company is telling me it has a major internal mechanical fault, but I have read from other's feedbacks that it is more likely an electrical fault.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Chris

:edit:
On driving it home tonight it seems that I can make it change from 1st to either 2nd or 3rd by backing off on the accelerator. I think it is not going into O/D due to the protection in the gearbox.

#2 ·
As I've said on the other thread, mostly CD4E selection concerns turn out to be electrical. I've seen 2 actual gearbox failures in 10 years. You don't say whether it's a Ford franchise you are dealing with, however I would be wary of anyone wanting to sell you a full gearbox for this model.
Unfortunately you seem to be in a different territory from me as the codes are unfamiliar. I would press for details as to which components are at fault and maybe repost here. Have you tried manual shift mode? If the vehicle speed sensor doesn't register, the module will think the vehicle's not moving and keep the box in 1st. This is just one of the many faults that can develop.

#3 ·
I do not recognize those codes either. If thesee were supposed to be P0732 and P0734 instead of T0732 and T0734 then they are as follows.

P0732 : Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0734 : Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

The possible failures for this would be Mechanical and/or hydraulic failure

#4 ·
:edit:

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback ...

I did get the original fault codes from a ford dealer service center and they recommended I take it to a transmission shop.

I have now done this and they are telling me it is something to do with the "bands" for 2nd and 4th gears.

They have quoted me 10hrs labour plus parts to repair.

They have not mentioned anything about it being electrical.

Regards
Chris

#6 ·
Before shelling out lots of your hard earned on a complete strip, can I suggest a new TSS is tried first. Turbine speed is used by the PCM to calculate convertor slip and gear ratios, so any problems in this area will give rise to concerns you describe. A code may not be raised for this component if it is failing within limits ie max and min readings are not exceeded but are at the wrong level for the given circumstances.

#7 ·
Hi Again,
I have just received a phone call saying my car has been fixed ... so I think it will be too late to try your suggestion (thanks all the same).

They did say yesterday, to fix the bands is alot quicker than removing the gearbox, so I would assume this means they didn't do a complete strip ... hopefully ...

I will report back on what they actually did later today.

Regards
Chris

#8 ·
:edit: :edit:
Hi Again,

Well my car is back and they have replaced a broken band.

It all seems to be working fine again, but my wallet is somewhat empty compared to when I went in.

The final cost was $960 NZD which was 10 hours labour at $67.50 per hour plus parts (I think the band was about $85 NZD).

Thanks for everyone's help ... and I hope that this information is useful to others

Regards
Chris

#9 ·
nzwards said:
:edit: :edit:
Hi Again,

Well my car is back and they have replaced a broken band.

It all seems to be working fine again, but my wallet is somewhat empty compared to when I went in.

The final cost was $960 NZD which was 10 hours labour at $67.50 per hour plus parts (I think the band was about $85 NZD).

Thanks for everyone's help ... and I hope that this information is useful to others

Regards
Chris
i have a 94 1.8 auto and have replaced the band 3 times,, i usally get about 10k before it goes each time,,the band costs around 20euro in ireland from the main dealer and i fit it myself,,takes me about 3an a half hours,,when the band starts to go the box wont shift into 4th gear,after a while it wont shift into 2nd either,,so you end up with the box goin straight into 3rd from 1st,,,im no expert but my experience is that there is something else causing the band to wear out!!my guess its electrical! have already replaced the speed sensor on the speedo drive,thought it might be givin a faulty reading but no joy as 4th gear has gone again!!!!! even with a new band i find that the engine seemes to rev a too high before changing gear,,,,maybe i'll change the turbine speed sensor this time as well as the band !! any ideas ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.