97 Mondeo transmission problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
lms
Lu

Question 97 Mondeo transmission problems

Hi

Have a 97 Ford Mondeo Auto 2.0. Having some kind of problem with the transmission. Lost 3rd & 4th gear comepletely for a day which mysteriously reappeared and now it appears to be pulling/jerking when changing down from 3rd to 2nd...almost right on 45km ph regardless of the rpms.

Spoken to a couple of mechanics & transmission dudes including ford and seem to be getting nowhere fast.....they really dont like working on these cars it seems. Common theory is the transmission is gone which leads to an expensive problem to fix. Read in various forums this same problem has been experienced by other mondeo drivers and were told the same thing (ie: transmission needs to be replaced) when infact it was a VSS problem which doesnt show up on diagnostic checks. Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?? Is it worthwhile replacing this part before getting someone to pull apart my transmission and charge me a fortune to do it??

Would appreciate any feedback thanx :s5

Lu.

Last edited by lms; 02-05-2004 at 01:20.
lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 13:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 Mondeo transmission problems

Nine times out of ten, it's not mechanical failure that causes concerns with the Mondeo auto. As long as oil level is ok and not black/metallic- particulated, repairing an electrical fault is normally the cure. A test with WDS will outline the problem when any fault codes are read. There's several sensors that can cause problems, the VSS can easily be checked on 'Datalogger', no need to replace unless it's actually at fault. Another possibility is the multiplug at the front/top of the box- I had one with water ingress here that had corroded terminals inside, giving rise to the jerking you describe.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
lms
Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtech.
Nine times out of ten, it's not mechanical failure that causes concerns with the Mondeo auto. As long as oil level is ok and not black/metallic- particulated, repairing an electrical fault is normally the cure. A test with WDS will outline the problem when any fault codes are read. There's several sensors that can cause problems, the VSS can easily be checked on 'Datalogger', no need to replace unless it's actually at fault. Another possibility is the multiplug at the front/top of the box- I had one with water ingress here that had corroded terminals inside, giving rise to the jerking you describe.
Thanx will get it looked....noticed today it doesnt do it when the overdrive is off which I would think is a pretty good indication its not the auto clutch or transmission itself. Is it normal for the car to start in overdrive? I assumed it was and rarely use this function...was after turning it off one day this problem started thinking back. With so many things is this car seemingly working in an opposite fashion to most cars i assumed it was normal to drive with this on...would that be right? Many thanx for your feedback.
lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:14   #4 (permalink)

Maybe it was just coincidence. The O/D off, OCS or overdrive cancel switch, is a feature that can be used to disable 4th gear, so normal driving occurs up until the selection of this gear. One of the features of CD4E transmission with EECIV/V management is the ability to limit the functions of the box when a fault is detected, to prevent overheating of the trans. fluid. I would reiterate the need to get a full WDS diagnostic done, which will also test the function of the selector mechanisms.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:04   #5 (permalink)

I have the exact same problem on 98 Mondeo 2.5l. However, I am not technical at all, so could you please tell me what are WDS, VSS and Datalogger.

Thanks

Brian
Bunjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:11   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

WDS: Worldwide Diagnostic System
VSS: Vehicle Speed Sensor
Datalogger: Diagnostics & Repair Software
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 23:10   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll take it to the local shop today.

Brian
Bunjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline