9in Diff into XF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2004, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
PooheyThomo

9in Diff into XF

Hi, i recently dropped my axles in my borg warner diff, and am looking to upgrade to something a bit tougher to handle the 351. and was just wondering whats involved in switching to a 9in?
can i just buy a diff from a xd,xe and it will be the same length?
and i run coil springs on the rear suspension, can i just pull my old diff out, gasaxe all the brackets, and weld them to the9in housing? and will the originall tailshaft fit? or do i have to get a custom one, or just swap the yokes to the diff?

any info will be greatly appreciated thanks
Niall
PooheyThomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 16:33   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: 9in Diff into XF

Any 9" out of an X series ford will fit under the XF.

You'll need to have all the coil spring mounts transfered onto the 9", if your handy with a welder you could do it yourself... but you'll need to be exact with you locations!

Tailshafts are totally different. Both the Uni's and the diameter. The 9" gear is much beefier, i'd would change everything to suit the 9" and turf the factory XF gear. I paid $200 for a completely rebuild 9" tailshaft with a new transmission yoke and new uni's.

The other advantage of a 9" is the massive amount of aftermarket parts available. Any gear ratio, open/LSD/Detriot locker/spooled, etc all easy as to obtain!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:04   #3 (permalink)
PooheyThomo

I talked to a few differential experts and they say the best thing for me for around $1000 fitted would to change the borg warner internals to eb spidergear,4 pinion,lsd centre ratio of my choice and run their eb 28 spline axles instead of the weak 25 xf ones, and they say it is good for about 450hp
and they have it in an xf turbo with it that does an 11sec 1/4 mile..

so thats what im thinking now instead of the heavy wieght of the 9in.
PooheyThomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 13:49   #4 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I reckon I know the diff mob that suggested that setup and I have serious doubts with its power handling ability. I'd call a few more places and listen to the totally different answer every one of them will give you. And a 9" is only about 10kgs heavier anyway!

In the end its up to you, but the rapid death of the B/W I had under my XD for a day has put me right off them... though it wasn't a 4 pinion LSD I did expect *one* pass down the strip before it self destructed!

Also there are a few EXCEPTIONALLY dodgy diff places around. If your in Melbourne PM me if you want any specific info. Your best bet is to ask a few people you know and see who they had good dealings with.

Cheers,
xdc351
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline