Air con mod/BTR 4 speed mod - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 22:24   #1 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

EF Air con mod/BTR 4 speed mod

I'll tell you what I've done, then you can tell me it's all wrong.

Recently the aircon went so using my can-do-it-myself attitude, I bought 3 wrecked arcon compressors from an aircon guy (2 ford, 1 holden) and replaced the Vortex bits on the inside and assembled a brand new one (kinda) had it regassed, and found that the aircon still didn't work. When we hooked it straight up to the battery, it kicked in and the aircon started working and everything was fine.

I sourced the problem and it came from a faulty hi-lo pressure switch (aircon) so here's what I did.
I found out what the pressure switch does, and being bodgy like I am, bypassed it. I hooked up a switch to the thermo fans so that i can turn it on and off as I so wish.

Theory behind this is that, when the water temp gets hotter, obviously the auto gets hotter as well as the aircon has to work harder. So given the average temp that the needle sits on, if it gets any higher than usual, I hit the switch and the turbo fans kick in. This results in cooler water, therfor cooler transmission, therfor lower pressure the compressor has to work.

Now the reason I'm writing this is because I've seen and read the reports that 9psiEB and others have done with the mods to alter the time delay between shifts with the BTR 4speed and going to do this this afternoon.
Most guys have said that now they have done this mod, they are going to put in Trans coolers to take the extra heat.

Given that I can control the fans as I wish, do you think I will need a trans cooler, or am I just nuts in which what I've done?
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Its of my opinion that you cant put bulk air thru a radiator...and it still would not cool the tranny as effectively as a external tranny cooler. Simply cos of the internal tranny coolers size and position.

As for the aircon mod.....thats one way to go about it i suppose.....but is the aircon now working?

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 22:54   #3 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

oh and another thing

I need a compressor for a EA that hasnt got blown seals. After your efforts, you reckon you might know a place where i could get one, or know if there are kits out there to do the seals on my original one? im running R134a and the heat thats created with this shit is phenomenal, im installing a dedicated thermo just to cool the air con compressor area alone!

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Old 06-11-2003, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

There's a hill you have to go up to get to toowoomba that's quite steep, and it takes a few mins to get up. Now without switching over, the temp gets up to 3/4 by the time I get to the top. By switching over, it almost hits 1/4 at the top. Now I know you're about to say that it could be a faulty temp sensor or thermostat, but given that the S5 solenoid in the Auto will detiorate quicker, and that the Ford air con compressors (turbines on the inside) aren't built to take higher added pressure due to the higher temp, I'm not willing to take that risk.
I've pulled apart 6 ford aircon compressors and the turbines have broken in exactly the same spot on the upper turbine.
The Turbine from the Holden one ( I can't think of the model) at the centre is a thicker wall, but you have to get the same upper and lower turbine thingys or the clutch won't spin freely once you've put it back together.
As for internal kits for compressors, there's no such thing resulting in extra cash you would have to fork out for a new one. You can buy new clutches and bearings but cost a fortune compared to the $6 (worth of spares from the local aircon guy), $60 regass and couple hours work, working out how piece it back together. But make sure that when you put it back together, that the O-ring is seated properly and you add some Sikaflex to make sure.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
Old 06-11-2003, 23:42   #5 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

i have blown my O ring in my compressor, just need to know where i can get a new one...

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Old 06-11-2003, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Is it one of the big ones, or one of the two smaller ones?

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

Old 06-12-2003, 03:50   #7 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I know a air-con bloke that does this thing with the thermo fan relays, so that when the A/C comes on, 1 fan will kick in on high speed. He's done it to his EL, and the temp coming out of the vents is 4 degrees
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 04:57   #8 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Shouldn't be that hard. Just go through the schematics and wire one fan via the aircon and the relay. Have to look into it though.

4 degrees! Would only need to have it on for a minute to cool the entire car!

Old 06-13-2003, 04:12   #9 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Yeah, I thought he full o' poo when he said it. But faaark it gets cold quick in there!!

Yeah, it's not that hard, but anyone that knows how to do it, won't tell anyone else. There is 1 thing that is tricky though. I'll see what info I can milk out of him
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 06:06   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_M
I know a air-con bloke that does this thing with the thermo fan relays, so that when the A/C comes on, 1 fan will kick in on high speed. He's done it to his EL, and the temp coming out of the vents is 4 degrees
I had this done on my AU 2years ago by my local auto electrician.He's been doing it since the EF came out.Any auto electrician should be able to do it.From memory its basically a wire from the air con to the fan relay.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline