alternative to a 9in diff? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 05:10   #1 (permalink)

alternative to a 9in diff?

how strong are the diffs out of xf-el falcons and can they be fitted into a xa-xc? are there any performance parts for these diffs? what other diff is out there thats strong but without the HUGE weight of a 9in?
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 06:21   #2 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Re: alternative to a 9in diff?

you have an xa/xb/xc?
the 302's and six cylinders came out with the borgwarner diffs. not exactly the same as some parts wont interchange between xd onwards and xc's and before. they are of the same design though.

get a 4-pin LSD centre with 28 spline axles and it will be very tough.

just for comparisons sake, my brother rebuilt his diff in his xa coupe - 4 pin LSD, stretched the springs and 3.55 gears. he has been in around 6-7 burnout comps and even came fourth in one, the diff hasnt failed yet although it has started to get a tiny bit of backlash but nothing to worry about at all. it is a 302c with 240 sumthing rear wheel HP and has a stg 3, 2800 hi-stall c4, so it is a lot easier on the diff than a manual... very strong diffs imo and all thats needed unless you got a massive amount of torque/power.

Most other parts available, PM me
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

i have an xa sedan

what model came with the 4pin LSD's?

Will a disc XF diff with the mod's you say handle a turbo 250 xflow?
MRJLB84D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:21   #4 (permalink)

I don't think the weight of the borg warner is that much less then a 9", lets say you save 50kgs (which I doubt) the car already weighs 1.5tonne....is this really going to matter....why would you spend the $$$ on a borg warner when a 9" will bolt straight in and should never give any trouble.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb351coupe
I don't think the weight of the borg warner is that much less then a 9", lets say you save 50kgs (which I doubt) the car already weighs 1.5tonne....is this really going to matter....why would you spend the $$$ on a borg warner when a 9" will bolt straight in and should never give any trouble.
Why would you?
well for several reasons. I am fitting one to my XL Ute.... I have had 9 inch LSD's before, and compared to the hydratrak, they are way behind.

I have a 6 pot EB with the Hydratrak LSD in it, and its the only vehicle i have ever owned where i can do hands off fishies. The power transfer from wheel to wheel is so smooth (and mines done 375,000 km without being touched)

They are quite strong, and have heard of successfull applications up to 500hp (flywheel)

Also, 9 inches aren't available 100% new, where as the hydra trak is still in production.

Inherent in their strength, my old mans XF ute has had a 351 clevo transplant with c4 auto with a shift kit. Unloaded the change to second is quite harsh, but with our loads is normal. (normal load for us is 12 foot tinnie on racks then loaded up inside the tinnie, then an 18foot caravan loaded till the doors won't close) Dad likes to clip along at 110-120 and after 50,000 km since 351 (290,000 total) this 2 pinion hydra-trak shows no sign of anger.

When they get angry, they are less than 50 bucks at the wreckers...no-one wants em, but ford and heldon are still sticking them to high horsepower applications!

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I'm in the same boat as mrjlb84d. My 8" diff has a whine in it but I don't really want a 9".
Is it possible to upgrade the 8" to LSD and rebuild it stronger? What is the 8" diffs weak point?
Old 07-29-2005, 19:57   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Kiss
I'm in the same boat as mrjlb84d. My 8" diff has a whine in it but I don't really want a 9".
Is it possible to upgrade the 8" to LSD and rebuild it stronger? What is the 8" diffs weak point?

You can get 9" LSD unit turned down in a lathe to fit into the 8" diff.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 20:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJLB84D
how strong are the diffs out of xf-el falcons and can they be fitted into a xa-xc? are there any performance parts for these diffs? what other diff is out there thats strong but without the HUGE weight of a 9in?
Im using an 8 3/4 valient diff in an EL wagon , had to move the spring seat but otherwise an easy fit and was $100.00 at the wreckers
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15   #9 (permalink)

you can buy any 9" part brand new. whoever said 9" stuff isn't avail 100% new its totally wrong, it may not be cheapest stuff around but its out there for sure, after all its the diff of choice for majority of applications.

The diff to get is the 28 spline 4 pin LSD as came out in some XD's I am pretty sure, I could be wrong but my fairmont XD wagon has one. They have larger wheel bearings.
I have also pulled one from an XD ute, both were disk braked.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38   #10 (permalink)
old B - new B

i think that all the V8 XDs had the 4 pinion diff with disc brakes. Fairlanes and LTD would have the same . ratios may vary.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline