Another Auto prob - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2000, 10:03   #1 (permalink)

Another Auto prob

I have a different problem with my autobox (EFII XR6). When I floor the accelerator, i will occaisionaly get a grinding noise from what I think is the auto. Will also do it on hard takeoffs when changing from 2nd - 3rd. Any ideas on what this could be?
paulmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2000, 13:38   #2 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

I sometimes get the same problem with my EFII (XR6) Ghia. Only happens rarely but enough to make you stop and think! I have asked the service guys at Ford and they have no idea! Even after checking the whole engine out. (but it's comforting to know someone else gets the same thing, I thought I was going crazy :)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2000, 14:22   #3 (permalink)

Hi Steve,

Yeah the Ford guys know absolutely JACK. They can barely handle a lube service. I once complained of a drive train rumble @ 120km/h - they told me it was tyre noise. Turned out to be a bent tailshaft! Good to know I anit the only one with this prob! Cya!
paulmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
onehunglow

Hi paulmc and Steve
just going thru the old posts looking for a clue on funny boing, boing, boing noise coming from the rear shortly after I floor the accelerator on EL XR6 auto. Sounds like cyclic grinding noise. Not sure if coming from gearbox or diff. Lingers for a few minutes then disappears.
Your experiences seem the closest. Any further comments to date? can any one else shed light on it?

By the way this model also has no oil filler tube. Crawled underneath to check oil level and filler plug obstructed by exhaust pipe. I guess Ford means it when they say "never needs refilling" :-(

Old 12-12-2000, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
michael73

hi steve dave & onehunglow
this sounds very much like the noise that
was coming from my box,now my torque converter is spilling oil all over my drive way I thought it was the front seal it wasn't
now it seems i have to pull the converter & crack test it but I think the impeller has broken off inside thus making the noise
so take it easy & get it checked before your car is parked up for a spell with oil pissing out the box like mine
Old 12-18-2000, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
onehunglow

Hi Michael73
Thanks for advice.

I've also had similar experience to paulmc regarding unbalanced tailshaft and diff noise. Both were replaced under warranty at less than 10,000kms. Makes you wonder dosen't it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline