Ford Forums banner

Another Capri Question.

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
I saw on an english web site http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport mention of power steering in a Capri.

Anyone have an idea of how to go about this.

The steering is rack&pinion and front track is 1346mm (53in).

I have the power steering pump on the 5.0Lt Windsor from an NF Fairlane.

TIA

#2 ·
Not % 100 certain but I think we used a T.F Cortina Ghia power steering rack or parts of years ago..We had to from memory change or mill a few things to get correct geometry.More power steer around these days,check out a p/s expert in y/pages.. Our conv. had no bump steer and made heaps of difference...Love to do v8 Capri conversion again...$$$$

#4 ·
power steering rack

I saw on an english web site http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport mention of power steering in a Capri.
50ltCapri

Hi,

I am actually buidling a 5.0lt stroked to 347 CI fuel injected capri. It is in the process of getting power steering, AC and all those good bits. I used to have a ED Fairmont Ghia and I really miss the ease of drving but I love my capri.

With the power steering racks, you can get a power steering rack out of a Mark 2 or 3 capri form england, as all capris from 1969 to 1987 when they finished production all had the same chasis and suspension with only minor updates. Interesting that the capri has the old mark 1/11 cortina chasis. (a bit of trivia)

I have a brought in a power steering rack from the UK. I will dig up how much it cost me. Fully reconditioned it was. Through the capri club international.

What mods have you done to your capri??

David

#5 ·
Current configuration is:

Engine: 5.0lt Windsor from NF Fairlane

Gearbox: 4 speed auto from NF Fairlane

Tailshaft: Custom made.

Diff: 8" ford LSD narrowed from ZG Fairlane

Brakes: 4 wheel disks from ZL Failane.

Wheels: Centerlines, Front 15x6 Rear 15x8 powder coated black.

Tyres: Have not decided yet but rears will be as wide as I can fit under the guards

Bodywork: Front and rear wheel arches flared. Front airdam and rear spoiler moulded into body. Sunroof.

Interior: Standard Capri except for front seats which are from ZL Fairlane. Will be looking at changing the instrument cluster later on to something like that in the NF Fairlane.

Colour: Currently Black but this will have a transparent blue over finish eventually.

At the moment it is in about 1000 pieces in the garage. Was intending to put the engine in this weekend to see if I can get it started. That way I don't have to push the car around when I need to move it.

Was only interested in the power steering as the engine came with power steering pump and AC compressor.

50LtCapri.

#6 ·
AC for Capri

David,

What AC unit etc are you using?

Was thinking of adding AC eventually as the engine came with the compressor.

Ross

G
#7 ·
Here is a pic of a 5.0 install I helped my friend with.
He has had some shimmying problems with his std. rack. I think he's sorted it now but this maybe just the thread that leads to a solid solution.

BTW the engine is using an EECIV/EEC-Tuner combination.
No chips, no aftermarket junk!

Pete.

#8 ·
AC system

I am currently hunting around for a unit that I can modify and will fit under the dash fairly easily. I am looking in cars around the size of a lazer etc.

If that fails I will be undertaking a construction project. "it can't be that hard, can IT!". I design AC systems for buildings for a living, so a car is just a small building.....yeah right.

Did you by a V8 conversion kit to bolt the 8 in with. I bought one from the castlemain hot rod shop in victoria. It comes with chasis rails and new gearbox crosmember and the like.

I think from memory the power steering rack cost me about $600 aussie dollars to by and get to australia. I also bought the power steering crossmember from the capri also as the rack bolts on differently to the standard rack.

I am going to run a 9inch which has been cut done and have a falcon disk brake rear fitted.

At this stage I am looking to install a tremec 3650 or a T56 because I don't want to be pulling the motor out to repair gearboxes, and I don't particulary want an auto at this stage.

#9 ·
XR9UTE

What sort of radiator did this guy end up using. I saw this capri in the last eddition of street heat magazine. It looked fantastic. I am using that car as my bench mark for the look I want to achieve except I will be finishing mine in black.

The guy was going to put on a GT40 intake manifold has he done it yet.

What sort of power is that capri putting out.

Does your mate have an email address. Wouldn't mind bouncing a few issues off him with the conversion along the way or is it just as easy to go through you.

David

G
#10 ·
IRPACAUS said:
XR9UTE

What sort of radiator did this guy end up using. I saw this capri in the last eddition of street heat magazine. It looked fantastic. I am using that car as my bench mark for the look I want to achieve except I will be finishing mine in black.

The guy was going to put on a GT40 intake manifold has he done it yet.

What sort of power is that capri putting out.

Does your mate have an email address. Wouldn't mind bouncing a few issues off him with the conversion along the way or is it just as easy to go through you.

David
Hi Dave,

I think Scott got the radiator custom made. I remember he previously had a double cross, staggered core type radiator but it was absolutely useless.

Scott has the '93 Cobra intake for it but to get it licensed the pigs require a dead stock engine(that's why he painted the edelbrocks the colour of the engine....giggle). It's going to be fun trying to disguise that F303 cam though.
So, as soon as he gets the handbrake setup sorted out it's going over the pits.
After that he'll change the intake over.

The engine in it's current form made 276rwhp with '93 Cobra EECIV/70mm MAF/24lb injectors and no EEC-Tuner attached. Ive since tweaked a few things with the EEC-Tuner and it's going a bit harder. I think we'll see around 310-330hp once the intake is installed and some more EEC-Tunin' done on the dyno.

Actually Ive got lots of detailed digital pics of the underpinnings of this car if want some? I'll attach one more here.

I'll email Scotts' address to you.

Pete.

#13 ·
XR9UTE

I too would be interested in seeing the photos.

If you email them to me then I will add them to my homepage if you do not mind.

#14 ·
David,

When I bought the Capri ($500 for the lot) it had a 289 Windsor and C4 gearbox.

The 289 was a boat anchor so I sold it to someone to rebuild.

The C4 went into my GF's XY.

The conversion appears to be the CRS one.

#15 ·
XR9Ute

The Capri photos look great.

What brake master cyclinder did Scott use? Looks like the standard Capri unit only larger.

Ross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.