Any problems with manual trans? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2000, 06:35   #1 (permalink)

Any problems with manual trans?

Hi All

Surprisingly, there seems to be a few auto transmission problems around, but what about the manual? I know Ford pay more attention to their auto boxes due to the amount they sell, so I would assume there would be more problems with the manual, not having the same amount of R&D?? A friend was telling me that this was the reason the TE50 only comes in auto.

This was discouraging me from getting the 5 speed, but most people here are having auto problems! Can anyone with a 5 speed please share your experiences.

Much appreciated,
Mark.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2000, 07:47   #2 (permalink)
Timbo EF1XR8

Mark,
I have a T5 in my XR8. I was accelerating onto the freeway one afternoon. At about 80kms/h I put it into 5th. There was a whining noise, so I took it out of 5th and put it back in thinking it might not be in properly. When I let the clutch out again, I discovered that 5th had become neutral. Apparently one the the circlips (a 20 cent part) that holds 5th gear on the shaft had broken, and the gear had slid along the shaft out of the way. Lucky for the extended warranty I bought with the car. A twenty cent part cost around $900 to replace at Cumberland Ford Blacktown. Car off the road for 4 days. I also have a leak somewhere in the gearbox that has been recurring. This is not a common problem though, or so I have been told. Another job for the extended warranty
Old 07-19-2000, 14:08   #3 (permalink)
Kon

hehehe

The T5 transmission currently used in Falcons is only rated to a torque capacity of ~420Nm. As the TS50 puts out 435Nm Ford didn'y want to have a whole bunch of busted trannies come back for warranty.

What Ford should do is use the T56 transmission which can take upwards of 540Nm depending on the version. It isn't as smooth as the T5 (witness the current Gen 3 Commodores' notchiness) but when need something extra strong you're going to lose options.

Btw there are a coouple of Tremec models (3550 and TKO) that fit somewhere in between the T5 and T56 for torque capacity but they aren't reputed to be very smooth either. They do cost about half of what a T56 would set you back though!
Old 07-21-2000, 13:31   #4 (permalink)
Jack

Does anybody know where I can source a heavier clutch/pressure plate kit for my XR8?
It seems that the extra power output plus the sticky tyres don't agree with it well. It only slips when the tyres get really hot
Old 07-30-2000, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
edxr8~

I have a June '94 ED XR8, with the 5 speed manual. I have a vibration from around 115 km/h, and it gets worse after that. I haven't gone much over that. I've checked all mounts, universal joints, etc, had wheels balanced. I checked the extension housing bushing in the gearbox, & found it had picked up, so replaced it. The vibration is still there. Anyone else had similar problems???
Old 07-31-2000, 08:06   #6 (permalink)
Mike

Thank goodness for factory warranty, right Timbo!! I had a pinprick oil leak going into my clutch, which in turn caused a bit of strife. Basically there was a slight kind of buzz or rattle at about 1700rpm in 2nd and 3rd. They couldn't diagnose without operating though. Since it got done under warranty they simply fit another XR clutch. I asked about the GT setup, that would have been ~$1500. The only gripe I have is that on a few occasions, I've missed 3rd coming from 5th. Apart from that, it's not a bad box & clutch, well in mine anyway :-)
Old 07-31-2000, 08:08   #7 (permalink)
Mike

EDXR8 - I've noticed a vibration in mine, in 4th from about 150kph. Of course, I was in the NT at the time ;^) It was a little rough from then on until 5th, but fine afterwards. Could have been tailshaft though methinks.
Old 08-03-2000, 20:53   #8 (permalink)

EDXR8, I've got a vibration in my car from about 80kph. I suspected the tailshaft so I took it to Ford (under warranty) and yes, the common old tailshaft bending!!!

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline