Anyone had this gearbox problem??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Anyone had this gearbox problem???

Previously I posted a message asking if anyone had a problem with their AU manual gearbox whereby they couldnt get the thing to shift into Fifth or Reverse gear without a big push/hit to get it over that side of the box. That problem was intermittent and rare for me, but now i have another problem.

Tonight when I went to go out I couldnt get the car across into First or second gear! Eventually it went in but was hard as hell to get in there and now when i change out of second gear (to either first or third) there is a slight whining noise that wasnt there before. There was no indication of this problem last night when i took the xr6 out and i think the problem occurs more when the car has been in 5th gear for a bit, but that doesnt explain the problem tonight. For those who dont know, I have an AUII XR6HP, manual.

Im going to take it to a dealer to see what they think but i have already spoken to a friend tonight who has the same problem and saifd sometimes he has to practically kick it in to gear. He has a series III XR6 VCT though and has had a few other problems as well.

Sorry for the long post but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2003, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
cArSiK

Re: Anyone had this gearbox problem???

Ive got an ED manual and i had problems getting it into reverse and 1st at times. I adjusted the clutch cable and now its heaps better , dont know if this is your problem but its somewhere to start.

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:09   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Failing that, the only other thing I can think of is buggered gates in the shifter....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 15:05   #4 (permalink)

If it doesn't actually want to go into the 1/2 gate, it is probably the gate plate come adrift in the extension housing.
Old 08-14-2003, 16:24   #5 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Just booked it in to be looked at on Monday... Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 08-14-2003, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: Re: Anyone had this gearbox problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6HP01
Just booked it in to be looked at on Monday... Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for the ideas guys.
At times when selecting 1st is hard, just shift it in reverse then drive reverse a touch ie roll abit then select 1st again.

If you've never changed the oil in the gearbox perhaps it's a good idea to get it done. I've changed my gearbox oil at 17k.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Ive always had that trouble you speak of getting first gear and as you suggest, a short roll forward or backward, maybe even a shift into 2nd then 1st works no dramas, but this one is a complete mystery. It might be a good idea as you suggest to get the gearbox oil changed as well... just hope this is fixed before the next 3fb cruise though....

Last edited by XR6HP01; 08-14-2003 at 19:06.
XR6HP01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Well all the best on the getting it repaired mate. After driving your car i can say that while it's abit notchier to get into 1st and 2nd it doesn't appear to be too serious.

I was thinking, maybe try adjusting the clutch a tad shorter (not as short as mine) and just maybe it will help the shifts. Reading in the ford manual the default clutch travel specification is 140mm as the clutch gets used and the cable stretches the travel and be longer which when you press the pedel it doesn't quite disengage the clutch.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 08-17-2003 at 03:50.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:14   #9 (permalink)

Or you can try shifting through the gears with the clutch down, usually works if mine's a bit hard to get into reverse.

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 08-17-2003, 04:24   #10 (permalink)

Or you can try shifting through the gears with the clutch down, usually works if mine's a bit hard to get into reverse. Just seems to line up the gears or something.

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline