AOD buy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 06:10   #1 (permalink)
breedx

AOD buy

I'm here in Japan with the Air Force and am looking for some help with my 67 GTA Fastback. My dad back in the states has made it into an incredible car so far. I'll tell you what we have and maybe you can suggest. We built the 400hp 302 that was in carcraft using the AFR 185 cc heads but put it on a 347 stoker kit. Thinking we may have aroud 450 to 500 ponies so far. My big question is about the tranny. We want to go with an AOD and have been looking at the street fighters from TCI and B&M . They sound great but have no experience. My dad builds C6 like there is no tomorrow but he's lost when it comes to the AOD's. Do you think that tranny would work for us. Street fighter tranny's with 3.75 gears. Thank you for your time. The 1200 to 1500 dollar tranny is just within the budget. Can't go with manual because my left leg isn't doing so hot these days...Thanks again
P.S. NOS maybe added as a toy, wondering how much those street fighters can really handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Re: AOD buy

A well built AOD can handle up to about 800HP. They are a brilliant box, and work really well. The best place to get one from would be Art Carr, they build the best aod's in the world. Most of the B&M boxes are just art carr boxes with a mark up on the price. Go straight to the source. These days most of them come with a free converter as well. Have fun.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:34   #3 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

what sort of dollars for the Tuffed up AOD? Where are they based? US or Australian?
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 15:51   #4 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

their web page is www.artcarr.com
For trans in australia ring Trans Tuff in melbourne. 03 9706 4342. Last time i spoke to them they want about $3100 for a full spec AOD. This did not include a converter. They vary from $500 - $1000 depending on application.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
Old 11-16-2003, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
breedx

Thank you so much for the info. The people at Art Carr were great to work with. They are also perfect for shipping since the cars is in Oklahoma. Thank you for the tip and I'm sure were going to love the tranny.

AOD was the way to go....
Old 11-18-2003, 02:28   #6 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

glad to help. :-)
One other thing, if you are going to use it on the strip, opt for the wide band gear set, the overdrive is a little lower, but taller 1st gear.
All the best.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:42   #7 (permalink)
breedx

Thanks again for the info

The guys at Art Carr Performance Products were the best people I have ever dealt with. I am drooling over the transmission that will be here in a day. Went with the AOD with Auto vlave body. Like you said they through in a Torque converter built for my needs.... Can't thank you enough.
Old 11-21-2003, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

so what did you get done and how much did it cost you?
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 14:37   #9 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Re: Thanks again for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedx
The guys at Art Carr Performance Products were the best people I have ever dealt with. I am drooling over the transmission that will be here in a day. Went with the AOD with Auto vlave body. Like you said they through in a Torque converter built for my needs.... Can't thank you enough.
Just happy to see another ford fan out there having a go. Go the Blue Oval.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline