AOD Shift Lever length wrong for Mustang Shifter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 04:01   #1 (permalink)

confused AOD Shift Lever length wrong for Mustang Shifter

Need some help.

I want to put an AOD in my classic ford, and use an 84-86 Mustang cable shifter (have one).

I have an AOD from a Crown Vic, but find that the shift lever length must not be the same length as the Mustang, as the shift paterns down match up.

Can anyone tell me the transmission the shift lever length (center of shaft to center of shift cable connection hole) of a Mustang AOD>>?

Mitch_c
Mitch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 08:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: AOD Shift Lever length wrong for Mustang Shifter

Hello,

I have a similar setup. I have put an AOD transmission from a 1985 Lincoln Continental in my 1949 Ford F1 pickup. I am using a 1993 Mustang floor shifter w/ a new shifter cable for an AOD transmission. The cable has a bracket that bolts right up to the transmission.

It looks like I will have to drop the tranny pan and valve body to rotate the shift lever because it extends upward instead of downward that my shifter cable requires. I'm wondering if I will have length issues as you did. Just wanted to know if you got your problem resolved.

Thanks......
patioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

It'll be easier to either route the cable from the other direction, or attach a fabricated lever to the original extending the length & direction you need.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49   #4 (permalink)

Well I dropped the tranny pan last night, loosened the 13/16 nut that holds the shift lever and rotated 180 degrees. I put new shift lever seals in while I had it a part. I connected the shifter cable from this lever into the rear end of a 1993 Mustang shifter. This Mustang had an AOD transmission as well so the shift segments matched the transmission. Since the shifter cable which I bought new was for an AOD transmission, it bolted right up to the tranny. The Mustang shifter may or may not have been set up for cable because it did not have a cable sheath stay bracket. I fabricated one of my own and it seems to work fine.

Thanks all........
patioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 17:23   #5 (permalink)
jackmarc757

Looks like all you have to do is drop the pan to get to the lever on this 80s aod.i will probably do filter while I am in there,though.I did remove the tranny brace,and let the transmission down enough to clear the floorpan.Now I should be able to flip the lever 180 degrees.Will get gackit and filter tomorrow,not sure where to get lever seal yet.
jackmarc757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline