au 1 xr6 vct diff clunking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2002, 14:10   #1 (permalink)

au 1 xr6 vct diff clunking

hi all i know it has probably been discussed be4. my uncle has an au 1 xr6 that has a clunking diff. i have heard they have a bit of a problem. so far the dealer has replaced the oil(didnt work), replaced the centre (didnt work) he is know pulling his hair out (didnt have much to start with). i know at work we have had probs with the diffs on commo`s clunking. we add a bottle of gm diff additive the go and do 20 or so figure 8`s down the back. seems to work. any one know of a fix???
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2002, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Happy XR6T Owner

Is the problem slop in the diff or could it be the half shafts where they meet the outer hubs. I had the half shafts and hubs replaced in my AU1 VCT XR6 (under warranty) and it got rid of about 95% of the clunking.
I really have a problem believing that additives can cure a problem that is obviously too much play in something like a diff.
Snake8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline