Au Auto Trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2003, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Au Auto Trouble

Hi Guys just wondering if anyone has had any trouble with there AUTO going into gear. Was driving last night. Just started her and drove nice and easy waiting for her to warm up and then the car seems to go into nuteral but it wasnt. It was like that for like 5 seconds i tried moving the gear lever down to see if i could get it to engage a gear but nothing then it just come back then never did it again.

Did it again this morning mind you i dont rev it at all when it does this i dont want to damage anything slowly rev to see if its engauging. Very Know im booking it in definatly for a AUTO service but does anyone have any ideas.
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 15:23   #2 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

My dad's AU2 did this, it was low on transmission fluid. However, you cannot check or top up the fluid yourself
Old 04-08-2003, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

It's getting Serviced now!!

It's in getting serviced now. Will let you all know the out come. Shit im having lots of luck. Now its up to around $800 spend in one week on my car. I think now the old lowering is held off for definatly another month.

Shit Happens!

To the best of us.

STEVE B
AUPS
Old 04-08-2003, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Ok Got It back

Got the car back form Auto Transmission place. Says that the fluid was black looks like it had never been changed. A few metal shavings on the magnet like hairs he said no big chunks. Also some sort of sludge on the bottom of auto trans. Doesnt sound good to me. its on 100,000 now and if i could bloody check Fluid level and colour myself it would have been done ages ago. Says its showing some signs of ware and could last 6 months to 5 years figure that one out nice broad range. What a **** this is pissing me right off now my car must be a POS.

I love it too

Any suggestions Anyone.

Also Tranny cooler is next on my list but this is maybee a little to late.

I have only had the car for the last 13,000 km. Not a happy camper.

Steve B
AUPS
Old 04-09-2003, 00:46   #5 (permalink)

why would anyone drive an auto for 100,000ks without an oil change.Get yourself a trans cooler and service your auto at 50,000ks max and it would be a good idea to change your diff oil as well and add a friction modifyer to the diff oil.To prolong life in an auto don't manually change down gears it results in excessive wear.I wouldn't lose any sleep over worrying about the box they are pretty reliable and they can be repaired at resonable cost
Old 04-09-2003, 03:27   #6 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Was the car serviced at a ford dealer? The auto is in the service schedule. . .
I'd love to be able to at least check the fluid level on mine too.
Hope your luck improves! It'll be a great car and shouldn't give any worries once the little things are sorted out
Old 04-09-2003, 03:36   #7 (permalink)

You can check th oil level yourself....There is a procedure that you get the oil just warm,not too hot,then check the level at a plug on the side of the trans,not unlike a manual trans...
I could post the full procedure here if you guys are interested...
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

I see, that would be helpful, ford say you can't do it yourself = harder than pulling a dipstick
Old 04-09-2003, 05:38   #9 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

yeah mate mine has done this a few times (under 25000 kms!!) took it into my two thirds usless ford dealer, who claimed nothing was wrong, unfortunately it does it irreguarly so its hard to show them!!

arghhh, i will get the fluild checked though!

cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:57   #10 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Everthing seems fine now, thanks taximan for the reassurance.
I am getting a cooler in two weeks ,was planning on it and it was going in for a transmission service Saturday but because i was a bit sceptic on when it had been seriviced last its just this shit happened first. Yeah i was wondering the same it was at a ford dealer like 4000 km ago go figure they said nothing was wrong. Not to worry im also getting a full flush while im there cant be to sure. Getting it done by a Respected auto trans place in geelong.

Thnaks for all replies

Steve B
AUPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline