AU II Auto querry????. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 04:28   #1 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

AU II Auto querry????.

Now I'm not scarred of driving my vehicle but I peronally really don't flog my car when I get in and drive, BUT today I decided after 3yr's of owner my AU II XR8 I would have a little play with the auto as I've allway's had manual's and never knew much about how to get the full potential out of them when playing, WELL after today I'm am totally surprised,because I left it in 1st and just played a little with the throttle hitting high rev's etc, the thing is just awsome, it's like a whole new vehicle or a new mod that I never knew I did, even in 2nd the throttle response is amazing, but my question is!!!!!!!!!!!
Will playing around in 1st and 2nd gear(wot, then backing off, then wot) with the Auto do any damage, like I said I am very unfirmilar with Auto's,How do other's drive and treat their Auto's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 04:34   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: AU II Auto querry????.

it shouldnt really. do you have a gregorys manual for the car? in the transmition section there is a 'sport' mode for XR autos. have a read if you have one. if nott ill post up what it says and how to change modes.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:29   #3 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I think after three years, galaxy would know about performance mode on the Auto's in these XR's.

Apart from doing the usual key in key out crap, selecting first and then going wot holding the revs out before clicking into 2 would be equivalent to performance mode anyway, for quick standing takeoffs.

For sweeping turns or approach to twisty bits I click out of D and hold in 3 as the throttle response is more direct, into the twisty bits its down to 2 and held there to keep the revs in the torque range. (This is all on top of Performance Mode - which is next to useless doing happy laps of Mt Panorama as an example). Yes the shifts are quicker in perf mode, but quite jerky if city driving and can shift unexpectedly if one is not sensitive with the right foot.

I've rarely clicked back from 2 to 1, the whole car just jerks so I tend to avoid that.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:50   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yeah , I do know about the 3 type's of style's in the Auto but I don't bother I just leave it in adaptive mode,What I really meant was I've never had it in 1st and really floored it and left it in 1st and played around, the exhaust note is amazing as she comes back down through the rev's, even left in 2nd it's still different but the note is noticably different from leaving it in D and flooring it, the throttle response is so much better as well, but I will also note that I have the Unichip and K&N and exhaust, it's not a standard XR8, but are these Auto's strong enough to leave in 1st or 2nd and play around like this.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
Galaxy Blue Driver

I used to leave mine in first and second a lot, but noticed that doing this saw the engine temperature move past the R in the NORMAL range. Heat is the biggest enemy of autos, so i no longer hold it in first. second is OK, as you can do about 130 in second, but i don't go to first at all when downchanging. I will start from the lights in first though, and change to second when it hits peak revs, but that is the same as the sport mode for these transmissions.

The occasional burst into first shouldn't do it any harm - in fact first can be very useful when towing a heavy load down a steep hill - the engine braking helps a lot, and the extra pull out of corners is also handy, but as a general rule, 2nd id now the lowest gear I go to.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline