AU II XR diff clunk and engine surge - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2002, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Thumbs down AU II XR diff clunk and engine surge

Hi guys 'n' girls,

I thought it was time for a new thread on this. Hopefully, this'll help others find info on what appears to be this common problem.

As some of you will know, I have a 2000 XR6 manual VCT sedan. I bought it in May of last year, ex FordMoCo. Ever since I bought it, I've had clunking noises from the rear end (the cars, that is) when coasting down hills, coming to a stop at lights etc. Sometimes this is accompanied by 'bunny hopping' (especially if in 2nd or 1st, at low speeds) which is most disconcerting!

Took a dealer mechanic for a spin to show him the fault and they logged a PACE case with Ford in January as they couldn't diagnose it and haven't been able to get a resolution to it since.

After getting frustrated with this, I rang the dealer last week and discussed it with them, they asked for it to be booked in. After they'd had it for 2 days this week, they reported that they'd fixed the problem by replacing the sparkplugs and stripping and cleaning the injectors. Oh, by the way, that's not covered under warranty and it'll cost you $276. Not happy, but if it's fixed, it's fixed....

Didn't drive enough last night to tell, but on the way in this morning I took it over the Lord St bridge which almost always causes the fault to exhibit itself. Yup, you got it. Not fixed. Clunk, clunk, rather loudly too.

Back to the dealer. "Not happy, I said". "Okay, we'll get a mechanic to go for a drive with you". Guess who? Yup, the SAME mechanic from before. "What's going on?" he says. Yup, he didn't know that the car was in for 2 days, he didn't know they'd replaced plugs and cleaned injectors. His comments to me indicated that there was no way that would help at all.

He told me that it's a problem with manual VCT's. Ford know about it, there's people with the same problem who have been waiting longer than me. He's under the impression that there's an engine management system code update coming. He thinks this may have to be approved by Ford US which is why it's taking so long. Also, the new Ford due later this year is diverting staff resources which isn't helping.

It's now booked in with the dealer for all of next week (convenient for me) and they'll get the local Ford guys involved.

He's going to discuss the issue of the 'wasted' $276 with the Service Manager. As far as I'm concerned, I want a refund as it was their fault they performed 'useless' work that hasn't actually fixed anything.

Keep you posted.

Simon....

(Abbreviated somewhat, believe it or not, check past posts for more detail)
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2002, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
longjohn1

how are you au11xr6
had same problem with my auto vct some days not a sign of problem,had it back to ford my times then i want to tell you sick of tired getting involved with Ford ,took on my self tried to fix it myself do these things and it might help a lot.
1)tighten all manifolds bolts on the inlet(mine were all loose)
2)changed fuel filter(helped a lot)
3)changed engine oil to a sysnthic oil 5w/40w shell
4)put in a wynns product to help with friction proofing,and compression
5)changed to ngk plugs.
6)use preiumn unleaded fuel(helps a lot)
7)put in t-series air snokel (another big improvement)
8)use a carby cleaner and do intake and also clean out you pcv with the carby cleaner as well.
if all else fails get it put on a dyno.
hope this helps it help me a lot.
Old 03-07-2002, 00:09   #3 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by longjohn1
if all else fails get it put on a dyno.
hope this helps it help me a lot.
Thanks longjohn1, I'll bear it in mind. Just had a call from the dealer advising that as they'd fixed the 'running rough' problem, the charge would stand.

Sorry sunshine, bzzzzzzzt. I never reported a 'running rough' problem. After I reamed them appropriately and they said they'd get back to me (again), all the guys in the office said "Go Simon!" when I hung up.

As I said to him, it's not my fault they didn't ask the other mechanic (who had knowledge of the status) or check the service history properly, so why should I have to pay for something that they haven't fixed? He said that I can't expect them to check with every mechanic each time it comes in. No, but it's not MY fault their computer system apparently sucks, is it?

<sigh> Why does it have to take until you get stroppy for you ton get something done?

Simon....

(That feels better)
Old 03-12-2002, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Thanks to XR8SAM, I've found a thread that may help others with this issue:

XR Diff Clunk Issues

I'll be printing this out and taking it in with me next week.

Simon....
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline