au ute lsd - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
XLS

au ute lsd

hi everyone, this is my first post so be gentle hehe. just a quick question

1) what car could i use a lsd out of that would fit in mine? centre or complete rear end?

thankyou for the help
XLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 12:17   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: au ute lsd

Talk to a diff shop - they should be able to point you in the right direction, and right ratio!
Old 12-18-2003, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
XLS

yeah i have tried talking to a few shops but they dont seem to be to helpful. they dont take me to serious..... i cant understand why i want to spend the money but they dont care.....oh well
Old 12-19-2003, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

I'm assuming AU1/2/3's were the same in this area when I say... Why not use the diff out of an XR ute?

Only thing is, if you have Heavy Duty or 1-tonne suspension, then your's would have a Heavy Duty diff - I dunno if the LSD is considered Heavy Duty (as XR's are not rated for a big load), but if you have the sports suspension I see no prob. Going by my AU3 specs - the XR is 3.45 LSD, XLS is 3.45 (in manual transmission).
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:16   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i dont know if the wagons had a different track width to the utes, but i think any other AU ute or wagon would be a suitable candidate for a diff swap.

you can get your diff rebuilt with a 3.45:1 LSD from a VL or a skyline, or if you want more go you can also get a 3.7 or 3.89:1 diff centre from an R31 thru R33 skyline, if you can find one at an import wreckers?

then you can just drop off your diff and the skyline diff at a diff shop, and tell them to put the gears and centre in your housing.

its most likely they will use all new bearings too, it seems to be an unwritten rule that a diff shop will never re-use bearings, no matter how new the diff is...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 15:45   #6 (permalink)
XLS

yeah it would be the smart thing to do......just get a xr diff or a car that was optioned with a lsd... its just finding one that can be the prob. i am wondering how the VL or Skyline diff would fit into the housing? any modding to be done with that.

graham
Old 12-21-2003, 05:33   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah thats what i meant - a VL or a skyline diff centre will fot your housing - it depends on who you talk to as to wiether or not machining is required - i have nver personally done it so i cant tell you, but i do have a 3.89:1 skyline diff centre under the bum of my EB XR6.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 16:27   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

They are all 78 series Borg Warner.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Give Mal Wood Auto a call (www.malwoodauto.com.au) . One of the guys from there hangs out here occasionally (wtb56 ?). In any case, they are in QLD, and will steer you in the right direction. They know their stuff . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 17:25   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
i dont know if the wagons had a different track width to the utes, but i think any other AU ute or wagon would be a suitable candidate for a diff swap.

you can get your diff rebuilt with a 3.45:1 LSD from a VL or a skyline, or if you want more go you can also get a 3.7 or 3.89:1 diff centre from an R31 thru R33 skyline, if you can find one at an import wreckers?

then you can just drop off your diff and the skyline diff at a diff shop, and tell them to put the gears and centre in your housing.

its most likely they will use all new bearings too, it seems to be an unwritten rule that a diff shop will never re-use bearings, no matter how new the diff is...
Um, the only Skyline from R31 - R33 which came out with a Borg Warner diff was the Australian delivered R31 Skyline & Pintara,the imports came out with rear IRS (including the Japanese R31),rear IRS was however an option here in Australia in the R31's.
I am told any 78 series centre from an XD onwards to the later Falcons came out with a 4 pinion 28 spline heavy duty LSD centre,from the XD - XF ( to XH in the ute range) it was the utes,panelvans and the Cleveland powered cars which came with the 4 pinion LSD,I am also told it was the EAII onwards that came out with the 4 pinion LSD standard or optional LSD,the Ghias apparently came standard with them.
It's an unwritten rule anywhere which does engineering work never to reuse old bearings,good insurance for a company's reputation unless you are a shonk who only worries about the bucks and not quality or reputation.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline