Au Xr8 Auto Trans Fluid Check - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 04:53   #1 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

Question Au Xr8 Auto Trans Fluid Check

I was giving my car a quick checkover the other day looking at the oil and other fluids etc, but to my surprise there was no dipstick to check the auto trans fluid, can any of you guys shed any light on this is there a different method to earlier models? Thanx in advance.

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 05:15   #2 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Re: Au Xr8 Auto Trans Fluid Check

According to the owners manual, it's er... sealed - and that's it - under normal conditions you don't check it(!)

In reality, I think you just have to undo the filler plug (from underneath the car) and check that the level is up with the bottom of the hole, but wait until someone else replies 'cause I'm not certain at what temperature and what exact procedure you should check it.

To make life easier, I believe there are some places where you can get a dip-stick fitted to it (like they aparently do for taxis etc.) - not a bad idea IMHO.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:44   #3 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

Steve-T- Thanks for that info mate. I was just curious as I had just done u service on the car and furiously looked around for a auto trans dipstick (after being used to having one on the EB XR8). Just out of curiousity, what mods have you performed on your XR8 and if you did what worked? I'm thinking of putting some yella terra rockers in mine after having done the exhaust (twin 2 1/4 with sports mufflers). I know it already has the explorer intake system, GT40p heads and reasonably good extractors standard.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:10   #4 (permalink)

No worries mate.

Having been er... financially impaired since buying my car, I haven't been able to do any real performance mods yet All I have is a K&N panel filter (which I think made a slight improvement although it's not like it's hugely noticable IMO - still worth having for the better filtration and re-useable factor though). I also fitted a Tefba coolant filter which is not really a performance mod but it's certainly benificial to your engine's health IMHO. I plan to probably do the exhaust like you say maybe with some Pacemaker tri-y headers and I have plenty of other (mostly minor) mods on the todo list.

Can I ask why the Yella Terra rockers? Are they much better than the factory rockers (which are Ford Motorsport 1.7:1 roller rockers AFAIK)?
EDIT: Sorry - just re-read your signature - I think it was only the later 200/220kW motors which had the roller rockers, so maybe yours has standard rockers I guess (?) which would explain the Yella Terras :)

Steve.

Last edited by Steve_T; 05-31-2004 at 07:16. Reason: See above
Old 05-31-2004, 08:28   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

They are a "sealed" unit like what Steve-T said. Didn't stop me doing a full flush of my auto after looking at the black fluid after 160,000km.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:05   #6 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

Steve-t- Yeah mines only a series 1 185kw which I think had 1.62 ratio rockers or something. I'm led to believe only the 220 kw versions had the roller rockers (yella terra) with I think a 1.72 ratio which effectively increases your cam lift and duration. I've read that these can give a good power boost (around 6 rwkw on the dyno) while only being a reasonably quick bolt on mod. Maybe I'll b able to afford it when I sell my EB XR8?!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:11   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, 200kW motors have 'em too (not that I've pulled the rocker covers off mine yet but they're definatley _supposed to_ have 'em :) - I wasn't sure if Ford had 'em made by Yella Terra but had a feeling they did.

I reckon they'd be a good mod for your motor but I believe that the standard rocker covers won't clear 'em properly (they're taller than the std. rockers) - SCE make some extra thick cork rocker cover gaskets to solve the problem - Part # 136076 for $30.00 according to an article in Performance Ford Mag. Volume 4 Edition 2 (which may interest you as it's an article on performance mods for the AU1 XR8 motor).

Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline