au3 xls ute lsd clunks and grones - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2002, 07:25   #1 (permalink)
andrewh66

au3 xls ute lsd clunks and grones

just wondering if any one has found ther 5speed and lsd to have a bit of backlash in drive train i found that my new ute when diff was warm and turning like to park or back out of a drive way was groneing and clunking my girlfriend herd it and wasent happy nor was i so i took it to a ford dealer to have it checked got told it was with in spec for back lash between crown wheel and pinon that it needed to bed in . Wasent real happy about that took it to anthor dealer thay put a addtive in the oil it quiten it a fair bit does anyone no what the magic addtive is i hope it is not sawdust or something like that i most discusted about haveing addtives put in a bran new car worth 30.000$ to bye i need a answer that itis not its within spec i wanna know why it makeing noies at all
andrewh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2002, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
BSR

Very common problem on the Au's. First fix is the diff additive which seems to work with different results. Sometime it fixes the prob for only a short time.
I think the additive is a synthetic type oil.......maybe AP knows

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

For the LSD's i've heard that this additive is some type of Friction modifier that stops or quietens the chattering in the LSD mechanisms.

As well as this additive like what XLR8 mentioned they re-fill the oil with a synthetic diff oil which is also known to quieten it down.

I'm not 100% sure either as i don't have an LSD.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 20:12   #4 (permalink)

Typical Dealer B.S. Spin, it shoudnt make any noise at all, unless its a detroit locker which would make a clicking noise in corners, ring a diff joint ask their opinion, if still not sure get a racv, racq, nrma inspection
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
gone

My s2 xr8 did the same thing

Oil additive is the 1st step
replacement of Diff is 2nd if additive doesnt work!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
andrewh66

thanks guys for the replys so at how meny k,s will thay change the diff ???
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline