au3 xr8 5sp gearbox noises - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2002, 15:36   #1 (permalink)

au3 xr8 5sp gearbox noises

not only have a I got strange noises ( see my story under "diff noise thread" ) coming from the diff, there's also something going on with the gearbox

Just after you release the clutch and the car starts to move forward ( in 1st and 2nd ) at low speed you can hear what sounds like a bearing noise from the front of the boxor clutch area.
Local dealer ( Dominelli , Sutherland ) had BTR listen to it and said it was normal.
Not happy with this though, I think it's gettting worse as it does more ks.
Also you when reversing just as car begins to move for the 1st few meters you can hear this noise but way louder - can't be normal surely ?

I drove another au3 xr8 5 sp yesterday ( at another dealers, arranged by my dealer ) , car had only done 1000ks ( mine's done 3000 now ) and yes you could hear similar noises but nowhere near as loud or disturbing.

I'm worried that it's a characteristic ( as dealer told me ) and that although mine's within tolerance it's at the bad end of the scale and will get worse.

My old XW GT toploader never made that much noise at lowe speed !

Anyone got any clues ?
boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 16:00   #2 (permalink)

Lotsa ppl have the problem it seems - also lots don't - you must be one of the unlucky ones. Ford will do nothing about it unless it actually breaks so go out and try to break it - you've got another 97,000km to go. My TR3650 box has similar noises and more and I'm still trying to get them to do something. No luck so far.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 16:57   #3 (permalink)

t3 man,

have you actually had ford listen to noises you're complaining about while you were in the car ?
and what did they say , that's just a characteristic of the car ?
Old 10-17-2002, 14:49   #4 (permalink)

well well well,
ford just told me ( apparently confirmed with btr aswell ) that the use auto trans fluid in the 5sp boxes to make them shift smoothly and quickly , but the hotter the oild gets the thinner it gets and the nosier the box gets .......... ( sounds all too familiar to me )

has anyone tried another type of gearbox oil ( maybe with an additive etc ) ?

also - the owners manual recommends dexron fluid for the manaul boxes with an additive ( that must be a GM ac delco type )
Old 10-17-2002, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

The additive is a product made by penrite. It's called lubrizol.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 18:58   #6 (permalink)

Additive

There is also an additive made by Castrol that is readily available.
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:00   #7 (permalink)

just found at that the new xr6 turbo ( that still uses a T5 ) uses a special oil - "castrol syntrans b" ,
as opposed to auto trans fluid with a friction modifier .

I'm going to ask dealer to try it and see if it helps.
I expect them to not be to kean on the idea as they've already said any other lubricants would void the ford and btr warranty,
but if this is what they use in the new model then I can't see how they could agrue

it will all be about cost ( apparently it's about $15 - $20 litre )

any one tried this syntrans b yet ?
Old 11-17-2002, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
andrewh66

i have a xls ute with a 5 speed ive had the addtive and oil in the diff dun but thats what thay told me i asked what parts had gone on to my car and ther was a diff hub assy mmmmm i think that was a new diff center but seams to be good now at 8000k and thay found lose u bolts thay tightend them much better now my gripe had turend to the gear box seams clunky some times when u take off it takes up slack some where and when u alcle and decrece speep it will clunk if u are slowing down 4 a corner gear down and let the cluch out it will clunk \slap im goin to take it to a gear box place a get them to check it out give me a report on it and go and jam it up ford againei am very dissapointed with the car and will never have anthor ford my new car sounds worse than my old skyline 5 speed that had travled 250 000k any help or feed back would be a gr8 help
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline