AUII XR8 Auto recall - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2001, 15:50   #1 (permalink)
kiwi

AUII XR8 Auto recall

Now I have your attention, read this. The auto box in the AUII XR8 has a fault! It chops down to 1st gear roughly (like a VT/VX Commodore auto does all the time).
This rough change down takes up the backlash in the diff, and if that is sometimes not enough, locks the rear wheels for a split second.
What is the Ford fix?
I can only assume Ford has far too many AUII XR8 customers and desparately needs to buy back vehicles to supply to those thousands of customers who missed out on new XR8's, so is making an effort to make them unhappy. They have released a 'Ford Service Bulletin' (can't spell tonight!) telling the Ford dealers there is an identified fault, but only act on it if the OWNER identifies it themselves (I did and got 'haven't heard of that, are you really sure?' then afterwards saw the written facts - I have procured a copy, which I have at work). They say it will cause no damage to the drivetrain, but in the long term how can it not?
There is a serious fault in the 'valve body' of the transmission. Cost = $2500 each, so FORD is very quiet about it!!!

If you have an AUII XR8 auto, take it for a drive - take note of rough downchanges - IF YOU DON'T COMPLAIN FORD POLICY IS TO IGNORE IT UNTIL OUT OF WARRANTY PERIOD.

Ring your Ford dealer tomorrow and ask them about the Auto problem. If you don't own an AUII XR8 yet, keep this in your memory for later - it could save you a lot of $$$$$!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2001, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
slim

yeah know of this bulletin. If I had a AUII I would take it in and get it fixed under warranty even it wasn't playing up. The valvebody will go one day sooner or later!
Old 07-05-2001, 07:42   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

hi kiwi
mmmmm lol i know how to rectify your problem and i know why it happens :)
the reason why it happen cause ford have put the 200kw engine into XR and adapted it to the same transmission that the AU1 TE T-Series had which had electronic sports shift (ess) on the steeing wheel (tiptronic what some people call it ) With ess you must bring on the rear band in the transmission to give you engine braking when your in first gear in ess mode so therefore with AU2XR8 they havnt modified the valve that brings the rear band on it can be fixed and dont let your ford dealer otherwise the only thing is that there is one down fall you lose the quick 1-2 upshift with this modification it slows down the varible pressure for the 1-2 up shift but we cant have everything can we now but it does make it a far more comfortable car to drive trust me on this one
regards johnmans
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 15:05   #4 (permalink)
kiwi

Well, if its a t box, how hard would it be to modify into a tiptronic. ChipTorque use to advertise a complete system (may still do, haven't been to their site for 2 years) for $2000. Maybe with a computer reprogramme and some sort of steering column 'paddles' we could make it t spec?
Old 07-05-2001, 22:20   #5 (permalink)

You can make any 4 speed Auto Falcon 'tiptronic' there use to be a company that sold a kit for $400 or so?? It was a few years ago so the cost could be way off and I dont think it included installation.

Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 06:55   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

if you decide to put tiptronics you wont resovle your original concern it will still bang down gears.
On how hard is to fit tip tronics, i would say it would be a costly process and after a while its a pain in the arse ive driven T series and i would rather change it manually but thats my opinion
johnmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: AUII XR8 Auto recall

Ok Just to quizz the ones in the know here.

I have a AU2 xr8 ute auto

When I place the gear box in first some times for a hard take off I get a clunk when i mash the throttle. And the same thing if i put it back into first whilst still moving(at crawling pace I mean)
Other that that the box seems fine. This however has been annoying me a little. I haven't voided my waranty yet !!! Do you think it is the same problem

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 18:10   #8 (permalink)

I bought my XR8 220KW brand new in Oct 02, I've never had a recall letter from ford regarding this. My car was built Jun 02.
However my car seems to stall in 2nd gear for about half a sec, then kicks back in when I'm giving it 80% throttle. It's happened a few times, but not recently. I've done 26K so far.

Hope this info helps.
Old 01-05-2004, 20:47   #9 (permalink)

I have experienced this on my AU II 4.0 6 at various speeds on the auto downshift there will be a clunk from the auto. Its a rare occurance and difficult to reproduce (for me) Which is a pain to explain to a mechanic. It may not do it for weeks then CLUNK down shifting decellerating from 110 through 100 or 60 thru 40 down hill. It seems when there is negative pressure on the auto change down. Is this the same problem or does the XR8 have a different auto or is the problem just more pronounced in the larger car??
timkbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline