Ford Forums banner

auto 2 manual sprint

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tony mac 
#1 ·
i have a powerdyne supercharged ED SPRINT,its auto,i have the v8 manual pedal box and are trying to decide on gear box,has almost 350rwhp with auto but would like to go manual as soon as poss.people have told me i should go toyota supra 5 spd as they are alot cheaper an not as notchy in the gear change,i have a single rail 4 speed that that needs rebuild which i thought would better suit with its tall gears,has no bell housing tho,any thoughts/criticism much appreciated :freak:

#2 ·
don't go the manual!!!!!!
Been there done that and it just makes things harder and slower in a 260rwkw car. Also i've heard averge things about the supra box and a well built auto (read my sig) is far better. look at all the xr6 turbo's cracking great quarter mile results with the auto box. I'm in the hunt for more power (had a s/c but blew an engine and had to sell it). I will be looking at stroker vs powerdyne (only want 8 psi). for now 3rd gear ratio is same as 4th gear in manual but with the treatment of more power it is the better way to go.

just my 2c

#3 ·
Yeah with that sort of power and torque, a T5 is going to be trouble. Supra 5 speeds seem to vary a lot in quality, I think it depends on exactly what they are out of. If you want a manual I would be looking at a Tremec 3550, but they are not cheap.

If you keep the auto, there are some good mods you can look at. My auto has had the S5 solenoid replaced with an adjustable unit allowing line pressure to be increased reducing shift time. Also about to fit a 2500rpm stall convertor. apparently aftermarket convertors, even with the same stall as stock perform much better.

BTW how do you find the Powerdyne blower. I am about to fit one to my car.

#7 ·
EDXR8 when you say about to, does that mean you have one and are about to fit or are about to buy. i am interested in the same setup. Don't need or want more than 8-9psi with my setup. figure the powerdyne is easy to fit and a good power adder without removing anymore drivability. Should go great with the cam too. What sort of power you expecting? Cost etc. i was thinking of buying a second hand unit or new one from capa and getting bigger injectors instead of using capa fuel system. Chiptorque are more than confidant of getting this setup to work well.
OPINIONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!1

#8 ·
EDXR8 said:
Yeah with that sort of power and torque, a T5 is going to be trouble. Supra 5 speeds seem to vary a lot in quality, I think it depends on exactly what they are out of. If you want a manual I would be looking at a Tremec 3550, but they are not cheap.

If you keep the auto, there are some good mods you can look at. My auto has had the S5 solenoid replaced with an adjustable unit allowing line pressure to be increased reducing shift time. Also about to fit a 2500rpm stall convertor. apparently aftermarket convertors, even with the same stall as stock perform much better.

BTW how do you find the Powerdyne blower. I am about to fit one to my car.
i hv found the blower great and have had no probs with it.i got it off an AU that had run like a bag of shit since the day it went on.had a play round with it on the AU b4 buying an found it didnt need the water injection unit fitted just choked it wen boost came on,i also have fitted an extra injector with its own control module altho its not hooked up yet so hopefully it will kick it alittle more.i still run the stock EEC4 pcm to just added a 5:1 boost fuel regulator so the fuel pressure ramps up 2 70-75psi at full boost altho my stock fuel pump now makes some grunting noises wen its cold,haha,so i just fitted an inline pump thats good 4 125psi an will remove old pump an replace with a pick up pipe,still have standard injectors (24lbs) to so may increase to 30 or 36lbs dont no.let me no how u get on with which ever way u go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.