Auto to Manual conversion on a EB V8? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2001, 09:01   #1 (permalink)

Auto to Manual conversion on a EB V8?

I think this has been brought up before but I dont remember the response and the Search function doesnt seem to work :rolleyes:

Ive found a EB V8 Gli with very low kms but of couse its an auto :rolleyes: (it will make a damn good sleeper )

So has anyone got an idea of how much it would cost to convert it? What is involved? Is it worth doing or should I keep looking for a factory 5 speed V8 EB/ED?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2001, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

There is a fair bit to do with an Auto to Manual conversion..

Obviously - the gear box and the clutch.

You also have to get a pedal box, a pedal and a manual computer. I think there is a few other things, but I cant think of them at the moment.

I wouldnt do it.. unless you wanted to do it to something that doesnt come in manual (like a V8 falcon wagon)
Old 07-06-2001, 09:41   #3 (permalink)
EB Fairmont Owner

Incidentally is this EB V8 burgundy by any chance?, because i saw one at Strapp ford in Melbourne for 11k - that would be a great sleeper - only thing to identify it from a 6 were the V8 badges on the side.

Someone has mentioned (I think it was Laminge) that he got quoted $1600 for an auto to manual conversion.
TickfordEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

I was thinking of doing the same thing as i have an eb v8 wagon (best sleeper around) but i think i'll just keep looking for a second v8 manual this time.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 08:56   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

See Laminge he's an exbert on gearbox's.Fitting a pedal box is a pig of a job.
.Question: would you realy need a eec4 manual wouldn't those auto settings die so to speak.And the engine side keep working.=reprogram itself?
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 00:53   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TickfordEB
Incidentally is this EB V8 burgundy by any chance?, because i saw one at Strapp ford in Melbourne for 11k - that would be a great sleeper - only thing to identify it from a 6 were the V8 badges on the side.

Someone has mentioned (I think it was Laminge) that he got quoted $1600 for an auto to manual conversion.
This EB is in Sydney, but thats all I want to say incase someone steals it :p
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10   #7 (permalink)

Smile Re: Auto to Manual conversion on a EB V8?

I done this conversion about 2 years ago on my EB2 XR8, i got all the stuff from mal wood in QLD it cost me $4300 for everything i got the good gear..clutch/pressure plate and so on. Easy to do the only hard part is getting the auto computer out. The kit comes with the clutch pedal,clevis bush,cable,T5,clutch/p.p,oil,bell housing,fork,fork boot,spiggot bearing,pedal rubber,new insert for your consol,shifter,shifter boot,knob. There are no ecu probs with EB-ED's...they run a stand alone ecu...EF-EL etc. require a wire to run from ecu to an earth.. thats it.
HDTKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:14   #8 (permalink)

Re: Auto to Manual conversion on a EB V8?

Forgot to add you can do this without changing whole pedal box, parts are all available.. easy to do.
HDTKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:49   #9 (permalink)

G'day,
have done this to an auto EB XR8.
1st point of note.. There is no need to change the engine management computer.

2nd point, the auto computer can remain., simply pull the wiring off it.

3rd point, changing the pedal box. Actually isn't that hard, as ford have designed the car to be worked on.

4th point. last one i did i paid 2500 for a kit from a wrecker..included everything.

5th point. the clutch from the wrecker will be worthless,fit a newie at the point and be done with it.

The ONLY thing that makes a conversion like this is aftermarket accessoires, I.E alarms and electric trailer brakes. Auto Elecs by nature are lazy pricks and tend to run the wiring for these things through the hole designed for the clutch cable, so they need to be rerouted. Aftermarket stereos present a similar problem. the last one of these I did took 5 hours on the dash items. (all worst cases above involved), but an unmolested dash can be done out and in within 2 hours.

The EB V8's i have swapped to manual are totally new cars...two of them i had the oppurtunity to drive before conversion, and my opinion was that they were very lazy.....after conversion to T5 they were new wagons!..anything over 2500 rpm and you have SERIOUS mumbo! (of note all 4 i have done are XR8's)

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47   #10 (permalink)

I've done my EB Fairmont Ghia V8 about 9 months ago. Used a castlemaine rod shop b/h (p/n 107). I bought a RAM clutch kit for a mustang, and an SVO clutch fork. I still run the auto ecu (1DGA) but it does display some "auto trans" characteristics. Like when you coast with the clutch in the revs don't drop back to idle. Instead, the revs stay up about 11-1200rpm until the car's speed falls to about 5mph, then it idles perfectly. Also, without the auto computer talking to the engine computer, the engine computer is likely to go into "torque limit" mode until over-ridden by the speed sensor. All up cost of conversion around $1800, of which $350 was a brand new clutch. Time wise I spent about 30 hours. Well worthwhile.
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline