auto tranny oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2002, 22:48   #1 (permalink)
Dreamer

auto tranny oil

Hey everyone, ive done a search and i cant find anything on the boards about what oils people have used or recommend?

So its an EF Fairmont 4 speed auto.

Suggestions please?

South...
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

well i went out and got some castrol TQ95 or something along those lines, filled up the tranny with 4L and bloody its shifting sooo smooth i love it, used to bang into gear when you shifted from 2nd to 1st at around 20kph, now it slides into 1st at 30kph

will take it to tranny joint sometime, and get them to do a full service, this way the new oil i put it now, combines with old oil in converter, and when i get the service, they pull 4L out again and that freshens everything up once again.

Feels beautiful.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:58   #3 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South
well i went out and got some castrol TQ95 or something along those lines, filled up the tranny with 4L and bloody its shifting sooo smooth i love it, used to bang into gear when you shifted from 2nd to 1st at around 20kph, now it slides into 1st at 30kph

will take it to tranny joint sometime, and get them to do a full service, this way the new oil i put it now, combines with old oil in converter, and when i get the service, they pull 4L out again and that freshens everything up once again.

Feels beautiful.
4l isnt much of the total if you've got an extra transmission oil cooler. When i changed mine,(nf2 v8) about 15 litres was exchanged and a new filter installed. now the oil is flouro red rather than burnt brown/black. (@90,000k's) still bright red after 20,000k's too.

if you take it to be serviced make sure they dont just "change the oil" get them to flush all the old crap out and have all new. Otherwise your just pissing in the wind really.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:15   #4 (permalink)
Dreamer

i removed 5L worth, but it had been over filled last time (accidently by myself, the tranny cooler i have is the ford/davies craig one, which is rather small, i doubt it would hold anymore than 200ml extra.

To flush all the other oil out one need to remove the converter i believe, theres not other way to do it, or is there?
Old 12-04-2002, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
5Litres of Ford Power

How much does it cost to do a total flush out of all the tranny oil. My V8 has done 127,000kms and I don't think it has ever been changed. I probably should think about getting it flushed.

What is the recommended amount of km's before it should be changed ?

Cheers
ELGhiaV8
Old 12-04-2002, 22:02   #6 (permalink)

to do a proper flush its around $160.00 ive seen cars as low as 40000km with black burnt trans oil but generally around 80000 is a good time.

you dont remove the converter simply hook up a trans flush machine to the cooler lines and it pumps the old out and the new in.
just dropping the pan only removes about 4/5l

the high price is more for the oil than the labor.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:41   #7 (permalink)

Your'e looking at around $100 for the fluid (Castrol TQ-95), so if you can get it done for $160, go for it, just make sure they put the proper stuff in, and don't fall for the old "this is the same stuff" routine.
Old 12-05-2002, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
5Litres of Ford Power

Thanks for the advice guys, I will get it done in the next couple of weeks!
Old 12-07-2002, 00:34   #9 (permalink)

seriously with the price you pay for oil, filter, gastget whatever, your better off getting the transmission properly serviced. It doesnt cost a lot more so let the professionals do it.

Thats me anywayz.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 00:45   #10 (permalink)

If I could have found somone to do mine for $160 I wouldn't have bothered with all the trouble of doing it myself (see other thread). I was quoted $340 by one shop in Melbourne but since we are 5 hours away...

Are you sure $160 isn't just the 5L pan and filter change.... 'cause thats about what they charge around here...

Pat.
psproule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline