Auto Trans Filler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2002, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
1996 Manual EFII GLi

Auto Trans Filler

Just bought a EFII GLi Olympic Classic it is an auto, but when i went to check fluid levels there is no dipstick/filler neck for the auto transmission. Checked to Manual to see where it is supposed to be but it is not there. This is very strange.
LittleJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2002, 17:06   #2 (permalink)

Hi LittleJonEA
That's right --there is no dipstick. The transmission is sealed ,there is a level plug on the driver's side of the box if you want to check the level
Station-rat
station-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

WTF?! Why would ford remove the transmission dipstick and filler tube on the EF's? Thats crazy! People shouldn't have to get under their cars to check the fluid levels or fill it up... what were ford thinking.
Old 10-18-2002, 20:16   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, Ford started this trend with the EFII series.

When you look in the owners manual, it says the Transmission Oil Dipstick was an "Optional Extra"

Makes me laugh, as I have a Ghia, with all these extras fitted, but Ford was toooooo Dammmm Cheap to fit a $2 dipstick !

I just got me transmission serviced, and got a shift kit, as well as some Brass seals, and a oil Cooler fitted, and asked the bloke if it was possible to fit the dipstick.

Basically his reply was that the Transmission housing needs to be changed, and that it was cheaper to buy a Box, with the Dipstick Fitted at the factory, rather than try and fit the thing as an after thought !

Personally, I would have prefered if Ford Priced the EFII's around $2 more expensive, and fitted the damm things, instead of trying to cut down on some of the costs.

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

dipsticks.

The theory is if it aint leaking then it wont need topping up!
This is common on mercs and bmw now. You put the car on a hoist, fill it till it comes out, start it up an when its warm pump more in till it reaches the right level.
Basically if it goes ok and aint leaking then dont worry about it. Just get it serviced properly annually and it should last for ever.

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 13:38   #6 (permalink)

It's amazing to find out what was put down the fill tube by people who had no clue what they were doing. Engine oil is the most common, but also people in the know putting the wrong type of transmission fluid in as well. And as shrekky said, if it's sealed and not leaking, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-20-2002, 00:06   #7 (permalink)

Also getting an accurate reading on the dipstick was a bit of a pain, from memory the car had to be warmed up completely, then you had to pull the dipstick out while running, go from P-N-R-3-2-1 and back again, stop the car and then check the level within 10 secs or something.

Now how many people would have done this to check the level?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 04:25   #8 (permalink)
1996 Manual EFII GLi

Thanks for all your replys. It's just that i believe in preventative maintenance. I was taking it on a straight 1000km drive so i wanted to make sure that everything was in working order.
LittleJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10   #9 (permalink)

Be careful when checking the fluid level, if the trans is not at the right temperature you might get fluid p*ssing out of the plug hole, not good.

I would leave it alone unless/until it starts acting up. The days of the home mechanic are fast disappearing.
Old 10-20-2002, 17:49   #10 (permalink)
kool kiwi bloke

before a long drive

My theory as you can see down the bottom, is if all is well then dont touch. I dont mean be negligent, i mean check the relevant fluid levels, tyres etc but dont get too deep unless its due for it. If you are going to do anything to the car do it a week earlier so any probs will show before you set off. Thankfully the days of hopelessley unreliable cars are all but over so if your car is going well, check the oil and coolant have a look around and go for your drive. If you normally look after it well then it wont be a prob.
Last mont i chucked the whole tribe in and we did 2000 km in a few days. The car went beaut.

If it aint broke then dont fffffffix it!
My advice may not be worth much, but at least it's free!
shrekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline