Auto trans power loss % - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 04:27   #1 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Auto trans power loss %

Does any body know roughly what percentage of power the 4 speed auto in the BA XR8s loses?
I've always thought a power loss of about 25% from crank to wheels. Does this sound about right with the new autos?

Cheers
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.
wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 02:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Auto trans power loss %

One way to find out it is the amount of power in (KW) at your rear wheels; convert that to horse power, and the that horse power number you come up with is what the KW rating you car has at the engine or fly wheel.

E.g my EF has 130 KW at the wheels or 175 HP at the rear wheels, but that also means my car actually has 175 KW "Not HP" at the engine.
so HP at wheels is what KW you have at the engine.

to the point it works out to be about 30% less, 175 KW less 30% is about 130 KW, the new falcons are about 28-30 % less at the wheels like any falcon realy, most large 6 & 8 cylinders cars of any make usually loose about 30 % of power through the drive train, tranny, diff, and axles by the time it gets to the wheels, most is lost to friction.

Aaron..
Mestpunk EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:17   #3 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Re: Auto trans power loss %

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestpunk EF
One way to find out it is the amount of power in (KW) at your rear wheels; convert that to horse power, and the that horse power number you come up with is what the KW rating you car has at the engine or fly wheel.

E.g my EF has 130 KW at the wheels or 175 HP at the rear wheels, but that also means my car actually has 175 KW "Not HP" at the engine.
so HP at wheels is what KW you have at the engine.

to the point it works out to be about 30% less, 175 KW less 30% is about 130 KW, the new falcons are about 28-30 % less at the wheels like any falcon realy, most large 6 & 8 cylinders cars of any make usually loose about 30 % of power through the drive train, tranny, diff, and axles by the time it gets to the wheels, most is lost to friction.

Aaron..

Thanks for your reply Aaron, much appreciated.

Interesting method, with converting to HP to get crank KWs.

So with that method, I'd have 297 odd crank KWs.

Working on 30% loss, I'd have about 317 FWKWs.

I prefer the latter, he he he.

Cheers, James
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.
wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline