Auto transmission coolers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 01:46   #1 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Auto transmission coolers

Just wondering who here has fitted a cooler to their auto trans? How much did it set you back? and do you think it's a worthwhile thing to do?
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 02:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Auto transmission coolers

Can't give you a price as the last one I fitted was ages ago. But it is a good thing - a cooler tranny grows to be an old tranny! That is, doesn't cark early. Also, you can avoid using the poxy factory effort of running hot transmission oil pipes through the radiator tank, thereby allowing the car to run cooler as well.

If you tow at all, I strongly recommend fitting one - as per factory towing kits.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:06   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPARM
Just wondering who here has fitted a cooler to their auto trans? How much did it set you back? and do you think it's a worthwhile thing to do?
My trans coolers were $165ea + fittings and trans line. It wasn't very expensive or hard to do. Mine is setup for street/strip though. I doubt you'd ever need two coolers.

Just helped a mate fit a cooler to a 1996 EL Falcon the other day. A couple of hours fiddling and we were away.

Brenden
Old 02-19-2004, 04:42   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Very worthwhile addition to any auto car, particularly one that gets a biit of a thrash.
They arnt to hard to fit, and not a great deal to buy.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:41   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

What size cooler should you use for the 4.0l motors? I have been told that a smallish one is better than what is fitted at the factory (ie none), but the bigger the better - or is bigger just overkill?

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:39   #6 (permalink)

Before I did the conversion to a manual, my XF had the standard setup for cooling it down (you know, hooked up to the radiator). When I moved to QLD, I found that the box wasnt performing as well when it got hot (as it does up here). What I did was get a pipe cutter and cut the top line on the cooler lines and put it through an external Borg Warner cooler (250X300mm) of which everyone swore was the best type to use, and found that the change up and down, squark, general performance and was hugely improved. Using both coolers (the radiator to take the bite out and the external cooler to cool it furter) was one of the best mods i did to that car. As eveyone knows, gearboxes love cool oil and it lasts longer too. But I had to go over to the other side and get a manual xmission. Xmission cooler cost about $100 second hand but cheaper ones are deffinatly available.
coupefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:49   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the cooler your box runs the longer it lives, its as simple as that really.

about 80 degrees or less is the happiest temp, you get increased wear at 90, and i believe by the time the oil temp hits 110 degrees the box is history...i could be a little off with my temps, but hot autos dont last long at all.

the bigger the cooler the better, its OK to have the oil go through the radiator one then though and external one then into the gearbox, but if your engine runs hot (like 100 degrees or so) thenit might not actually be helping.

a secondary bonus of having a very big oil cooler is increased oil volume - more oil in the system means that each little bit of oil is used to do work just that little bit less often, so it stays slightly cleaner for slightly longer.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:40   #8 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I bought an auto trans oil cooler today. The instructions say that the cooler should go between the standard radiator line and the auto trans. The AUs (and I guess every other falcon) has two lines going from the radiator to the transmission. One of these brings the oil from the trans to the radiator and the other returns the oil to the trans from the radiator.

My problem is, which is which? Using the method included in the instructions, it would seem that the top line into the radiator is the one bringing the oil to the radiator and the bottom one returns the oil to the transmission - can anyone confirm this please (and I "I think" or "I'm pretty sure" doesn't count as confirmation). Thanks in advance.

*****EDIT******
Found out the hard way - but the top tube is the one that returns the fluid to the transmission, and this is the one that the cooler should be connected to. Only cost me about 200ml of fluid to find this out!

I hooked the cooler up today. The instructions say 1/2 hour, but I reckon it took me around 75 to 90 minutes. I had to remove the thermo fans to get in behind the radiator.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 02-22-2004 at 05:11.
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:27   #9 (permalink)

ive got the little tow pack cooler and i bought a second hand cooler about twice that size, (around 25cm x 12cm) and my fluid goes through the radiator, tow pack cooler, bigger cooler then back to the tranny. Overall it still runs a bit dodgy so i'll prob get it serviced and see if that setup is actually helping.
glancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline