Ford Forums banner

Auto Transmission / Diff

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Martin 
G
#1 ·
Are there any known problems that have been identified with the AU XR8 Auto Transmission and or Diff?

I seem to be getting a 'clunking' noise when changing up / down either automatically and manually, and once even lost drive.

G
#4 ·
I just got rid of an AUII xr8 with clunky diff - apparently all diffs with serial number under 8000 were bad. By what I've been told they should all be replaced - cones in LSD are binding. BTR's cure, was to 'double phosphate' the cones - what that will do who knows? If your diff binds like a 4WD on tarmac, pressure your Ford dealer - they all know about it, but all plead dumb as to the extent of the problem.
Now for a new problem - when slowing down in my new XR8, (at 800km), the auto slams into 1st gear, taking the backlash up on the diff in microseconds, then causing a loud 'bang' in diff. Of course my ford dealer was cagey at first - problem BTR has bad parts - fix is one day strip and replace 1/2 of trans! Anyone else been through this? Most AU's must end up like meccano sets - bits and pieces retrofitted as and when the owner complains - your ford dealer won't ID any of it if you don't!

#5 ·
I cant beleive Ford still buy diffs and Trans from BTR, they are absolute junk.
Speak to any Auto Trans place and they'll tell you that the only thing keeping them in business is the Auto in the Falcon. Now how many IRS AU owners havnt had diff problems? Seems like everyone has.

Ford, do you and everyone a favour and supply your diffs and trans elsewhere!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.