ba auto clunk - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 03:34   #1 (permalink)

confused ba auto clunk

g'day all,
Have been hearing a loud clunk/thump noise from transimission as selecter is passed through reverse and a reasonable amount of pressure required to pass through.. It is louder and harder more so when the car is parked on an angle. the car's an 03 ba xr6 N/A, has never been flogged and has been doin it almost since new . i am a converted holden fan. hehe. that and the dodgy blotchy paint are the only problems with car. the auto runs fine thorugh while driving etc, just annoying thump took it to the dealer who agreed there was a problem and replaced the valve body, however, didnt fix problem.took it back, they rang ford and they said that they are aware of in a lot of them, and are tryin to fix it. this was 2 months ago... anyone else have this problem?? or know what it is?

cheers, ryan
rhino6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 03:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: ba auto clunk

no ideas?
Old 06-14-2004, 00:37   #3 (permalink)
Ford Nut

its under new car warranty so they have to do everything possible to fix it, eg new tranny.

and with the blotchy paint, they will have to get it resprayed.

thats whats warranty is all about.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:35   #4 (permalink)

yeh ok.. thanks mate
Old 06-14-2004, 23:09   #5 (permalink)

I have the same problem intermittently (XR6T) although hasn't done this for a while.
XBHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:39   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: ba auto clunk

when parking the car try keeping you foot applied to the brake pedal. when completly stopped, put car in park. Then apply handbrake. Now you can release the brake pedal. See if parking in this order helps. I have noticed in mine that if i don't do this and park on a hill i need to really pull the gear selector hard to get it thru reverse.

The idea in the order being that you stop the car from moving to the stop point of the transmission/diff(whatever it is that stops the car moving while in park).

See how you go
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:24   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino6
g'day all,
Have been hearing a loud clunk/thump noise from transimission as selecter is passed through reverse and a reasonable amount of pressure required to pass through.. It is louder and harder more so when the car is parked on an angle. the car's an 03 ba xr6 N/A, has never been flogged and has been doin it almost since new . i am a converted holden fan. hehe. that and the dodgy blotchy paint are the only problems with car. the auto runs fine thorugh while driving etc, just annoying thump took it to the dealer who agreed there was a problem and replaced the valve body, however, didnt fix problem.took it back, they rang ford and they said that they are aware of in a lot of them, and are tryin to fix it. this was 2 months ago... anyone else have this problem?? or know what it is?

cheers, ryan

This is a commen problem with most cars (auto) that are park on a down hill angle. I have has this in my xr6 ute (04/04) previous car owned and my dads xr6 sedan (05/04) my sisters big landcruiser Sahara does it as well
smokinjoesxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 19:26   #8 (permalink)

just took the car for a drive before. parked on various slopes and tried parking it by holding the brake, pulling park brake on, then put in park. the car didnt roll forward or anything. still made the thump, although slightly quieter and a tad less force required to pass through reverse than parking the other way. mite go and see the dealer today and see if they have heard anything back from ford about it.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:25   #9 (permalink)

Its worse if you park on a steep angle all right. Its normal for some autos (my Toyota does it too). To stop this - when parking the car; engage N, apply handbrake, release footbrake and then select P. Handbrake does the work stopping the car moving not the transmission. When starting again, select D or R then release handbrake before moving off. No clunk guaranteed.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:24   #10 (permalink)

sorry to take so long to get back. the way Blood_Orange said to do it works every time. so ill just do that until it gets fixed..if it can be. thanks alot guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline