Ford Forums banner

BA Auto Trans Query

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sorras 
#1 ·
I get my XR6 in 6 days (who's counting?), but I'm a little confused at present how the "sports shifter" works. I understand from reviews that when you push the shifter left into "sports mode" it automatically drops into 3rd gear. From there you shift up and down to select which ever cog you need. Can someone please confirm:

a) If it does drop into third as above
b) If you can get into 4th whilst in sports mode, or if you have to push the lever back across into D.
c) When in sports mode I'm told that the gear is held and the trans will not automatically change gears either up or down - is this so?

Cheers
Chris

#4 ·
Which raises a question. I originally thought that the 'Performance' mode locked out the torque converter lock-up but this does not appear to be the case. Well not quite. If you just put it across the gate into Performance mode then it does only utillise the four gears but as soon as an SSS shift is made it then bring the lock up back into play.

A bit odd, particularly when the BA doesn't share the AU's aversion to locking up the converter.

Cheers
Russ

#5 ·
When you push the level to the left you are in "Performance auto" mode. The trans will change up and down automatically, but with different shift points. 4th gear only activates over about 150km/h.

Once you manually select a different gear, you enter sports mode and the trans will not shift up a gear. It will drop down if revs are too low for the selected gear.

#6 ·
Sorras said:
When you push the level to the left you are in "Performance auto" mode. The trans will change up and down automatically, but with different shift points. 4th gear only activates over about 150km/h.
Certainly not what the manual advises or what I am experiencing - and the lock up on the torque converter is actually the equivalent of 5th not 4th which engages normally.

Once you manually select a different gear, you enter sports mode and the trans will not shift up a gear. It will drop down if revs are too low for the selected gear.
What I was saying is that once you've selected 4th it will still allow the TC to lock up even though I am led to believe it is not supposed to.

Cheers
Russ

#7 ·
Sorras said:

Mine works axactly the same as this. I think the 3 different chioces are varied enough to make a difference when driving too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.